Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.93 average.
Old Saturday 17th March 2007, 07:55   #726
Peter Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by breffni
To join in, meet at Soldiers Point, Dundalk, at 12 noon on Sunday the 18th of March 2007. All are welcome!
See you there!

Breffni Martin
087 9145363

See you there at 12.

Sandra, How many pipes do we need?

Peter
Old Sunday 18th March 2007, 09:53   #727
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Phillips
Sandra, How many pipes do we need?
Hard to say really, your guess would be as good as mine. I checked the Kilcoole warden's manual and they had 50. They cater for far bigger numbers of birds than us so I'd imagine that the number you have should be enough, but if we get more all the better. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

More signs of spring around yesterday with gannets feeding off Salterstown and Hermitage, and Margaret spotted a tern off Hermitage.
Old Sunday 18th March 2007, 12:31   #728
ardnasx1
Sandra

Forgot to mention there were 6 ruff at Seabank yesterday.
Old Sunday 18th March 2007, 17:32   #729
breffni

The horizontal hailstones put us off the walk on the navvy bank today - thanks to everyone who showed up anyway - we could do another one on the 1st April but high tide is around noon (that is 11:50 gmt)...so maybe later on a falling tide eg 1pm or earlier on a rising tide eg 10am?

Saw a hen harrier on marsh south; later checked clogher - no progress with black guillemot holes despite promises - two winter plumage birds hanging around the harbour...
Old Sunday 18th March 2007, 18:04   #730
Peter Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnasx1
I'd imagine that the number you have should be enough,
Margaret spotted a tern off Hermitage.
I should be able to get about the same number again so I will have about 25. If Kilcoole need about 50, I would say 20-30 should be plenty.

I would imagine in was a Sandwich Tern. There had been a few in Britain so far.A flock of 80 birds wintered in France this year.

Shame about the Black Guillemots at Clogher Head. I wonder, will thet desert the colony?
Old Sunday 18th March 2007, 19:59   #731
Pluvius

I was on my way for lunch in Dublin with the mother in law and stopped off at Dundalk port and tide was at highest so no luck for me re Dowitcher. Stopped on the way back and no sooner had I got out of the car Peregrine dived into flock of golden plover and everything upped and away so on my third attempt no Dowitcher. Is it still there ?

BF Supporter 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 19th March 2007, 15:44   #732
Peter Phillips

Sand Martin's at Keenan's Cross pond

Went out this afternoon. Very cold and windy. Colgher Head:There is access now to the harbour area but only a single Goldcrest in the Youth Hostel garden, no sign of any Chiffchaff yet. Very quiet at Cruisetown. I had two Sand Martins struggling into the northerly breeze over Keenan's Cross pond-my first summer migrants.

The weather looks good for later in the week for some more early migrants.

Peter
Old Monday 19th March 2007, 21:30   #733
james mullen
james mullen

Location: monasterboice,drogheda, Co.louth republic of ireland
Quote:
Went out this afternoon. Very cold and windy. Colgher Head:There is access now to the harbour area but only a single Goldcrest in the Youth Hostel garden, no sign of any Chiffchaff yet. Very quiet at Cruisetown. I had two Sand Martins struggling into the northerly breeze over Keenan's Cross pond-my first summer migrants.

Peter
Took a stroll down along the coast to-day and boy what a day.Not much flying-Heads down!.Came across a lone Wheatear down on Hineys beach.My first Spring migrant and beats my previous records by a whole 4 days.By far the largest and most interesting sight on view to-day was the naval ship the LE EITHNE anchored close inshore just south of Clogherhead opposite Port Oriel.Great scpoe views were available at Glaspistol on the road to Termonfeckin.
Old Tuesday 20th March 2007, 08:24   #734
Peter Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by james mullen
Came across a lone Wheatear down on Hineys beach.My first Spring migrant and beats my previous records by a whole 4 days..
Welcome to the forum James. Where is Hineys beach?

Peter
Old Tuesday 20th March 2007, 09:36   #735
MargaretM

Quote:
I had two Sand Martins struggling into the northerly breeze over Keenan's Cross pond-my first summer migrants.
Peter
Well done Peter, it was so cold yesterday that I did most of my birding from the car. A grey wagtail at Dunany (spotted by Sandra) was magnificent in its vibrant yellow. The sea seemed very quiet.

Quote:
Took a stroll down along the coast to-day and boy what a day.Not much flying-Heads down!.Came across a lone Wheatear down on Hineys beach.My first Spring migrant and beats my previous records by a whole 4 days.By far the largest and most interesting sight on view to-day was the naval ship the LE EITHNE anchored close inshore just south of Clogherhead opposite Port Oriel.Great scpoe views were available at Glaspistol on the road to Termonfeckin.
Hi James, welcome to the forum, always good to have another contributor, and well done with the Wheatear.
Saw that boat all right. We first saw it on Sunday and it was conveniently anchored in view from our kitchen window, so Tommy had the scope set up but I notice that its gone this morning.
Old Tuesday 20th March 2007, 10:44   #736
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluvius
I was on my way for lunch in Dublin with the mother in law and stopped off at Dundalk port and tide was at highest so no luck for me re Dowitcher. Stopped on the way back and no sooner had I got out of the car Peregrine dived into flock of golden plover and everything upped and away so on my third attempt no Dowitcher. Is it still there ?
Dowitcher is still there - was showing well yesterday between the bouts of hail - the best time seems to be about mid to low tide when it feeds along the edge of the river, as the tide rises it seems to go up the channel and out of sight. At high tide it can sometimes be seen on the fringes of the spartina clumps getting deep into the water.
Old Tuesday 20th March 2007, 13:00   #737
james mullen
james mullen

Quote:
Welcome to the forum James. Where is Hineys beach?

Peter
Hi Peter-Thanks for the welcome. Hineys beach is just South of Dunany Point.Travelling north from the Port direction before the sharp turn left which leads you up by Dunany Church and the cul-de-sac straight on that brings you down to Dunany House-Turn right ,the lane is about 400 metres long and brings you right to the beach.The beach is named after a man called Hinny Dolan now deceased.Some of his family still live on the lane.
Old Tuesday 20th March 2007, 14:05   #738
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
Hi Peter-Thanks for the welcome. Hineys beach is just South of Dunany Point.Travelling north from the Port direction before the sharp turn left which leads you up by Dunany Church and the cul-de-sac straight on that brings you down to Dunany House-Turn right ,the lane is about 400 metres long and brings you right to the beach.The beach is named after a man called Hinny Dolan now deceased.Some of his family still live on the lane.
Hi James and again welcome to our thread. I know the lane you mean, we call it Dolan's, after the same man!

Quote:
The horizontal hailstones put us off the walk on the navvy bank today - thanks to everyone who showed up anyway - we could do another one on the 1st April but high tide is around noon (that is 11:50 gmt)...so maybe later on a falling tide eg 1pm or earlier on a rising tide eg 10am?

Saw a hen harrier on marsh south; later checked clogher - no progress with black guillemot holes despite promises - two winter plumage birds hanging around the harbour...
Should be worth trying to organise that walk again, we couldn't have as bad of luck with the weather again.

I've checked Clogherhead several times over the last few weeks and have only seen one black guillemot in summer plumage on one of those visits, though of course it's not to say there aren't more around. It is a shame they couldn't have had the nest holes ready.
Old Tuesday 20th March 2007, 18:45   #739
james mullen
james mullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretM
Well done Peter, it was so cold yesterday that I did most of my birding from the car. A grey wagtail at Dunany (spotted by Sandra) was magnificent in its vibrant yellow. The sea seemed very quiet.

Hi James, welcome to the forum, always good to have another contributor, and well done with the Wheatear.
Saw that boat all right. We first saw it on Sunday and it was conveniently anchored in view from our kitchen window, so Tommy had the scope set up but I notice that its gone this morning.
Hi! Margaret and thanks for the welcome.Hope that ship looking in your Kitchen window did'nt spoil lunch.
Old Tuesday 20th March 2007, 19:26   #740
Peter Phillips

Irish East Coast Bird Report

Quote:
Hi! Margaret and thanks for the welcome.Hope that ship looking in your Kitchen window did'nt spoil lunch.
Birdwatch Ireland publish an annual publication, a bird report, that deals with the east coast of Ireland namely Louth, Dublin, Meath and Wicklow. While Dublin and Wicklow are well represented Louth is not, mainly because there are so few active (outside your garden) birdwatchers. I have suggested to Dick Coombes (Editor) that I would collect the sightings from the forum and send them on to him for publication. There are interested in all bird species, not just rare ones. Some rare species are well documented eg Med Gull but species like Wheatear and Spotted Flycatcher rarely get reported. It would be great if people could report all there first few dates for summer migrants or anything else that might be worth publishing. If you put it on the forum, I will forward all the records and contributors names on to Dick.

Thanks

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0210.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	76736  
Old Tuesday 20th March 2007, 23:08   #741
MargaretM

Quote:
I must admit that as I was 'spying' through the scope, I did wonder what they were doing and if I could see them ... then just how much could they see!!
Old Wednesday 21st March 2007, 10:47   #742
breffni

Quote:
Birdwatch Ireland publish an annual publication, a bird report, that deals with the east coast of Ireland namely Louth, Dublin, Meath and Wicklow. While Dublin and Wicklow are well represented Louth is not, mainly because there are so few active (outside your garden) birdwatchers. I have suggested to Dick Coombes (Editor) that I would collect the sightings from the forum and send them on to him for publication. There are interested in all bird species, not just rare ones. Some rare species are well documented eg Med Gull but species like Wheatear and Spotted Flycatcher rarely get reported. It would be great if people could report all there first few dates for summer migrants or anything else that might be worth publishing. If you put it on the forum, I will forward all the records and contributors names on to Dick.

Thanks

Peter
Peter, i did a rarity review of 2006 for louth - i'll send it - i just culled the records from birdforum and notes i had taken myself. But you're right, if people would report more detail on birdforum it would make the job easier - longer term we were thinking of doing something like the recent john lovett book on cavan, which reviews cavan birding records, locations etc going back to the 18th centuary...
Old Wednesday 21st March 2007, 10:50   #743
breffni

Quote:
Hi James, I know the spot - once drove down to the beach and found on return that someone had parked in the lane and gone walking their dog...so i spent a bit more time looking at the loafing gulls than planned...
Old Thursday 22nd March 2007, 14:22   #744
ardnasx1
Sandra

Second pair of shovelers on Beaulieu pond today. Last year the second pair arrived on 21st March, so both pairs seem to have arrived on roughly the same dates as last year. It'll be interesting to see if they are as regular next year.

Around 500 brent geese on the Boyne at Beaulieu, numbers have been steadily rising in the last week or two.
Old Saturday 24th March 2007, 17:23   #745
breffni

Black guillemots back in at Giles Quay. 18 yesterday, 21 today - 20 paired, one apparently unpaired. We managed to get proper nesting cavities in and the birds immediately took to the new cavities (holes drilled in the quay wall and lined with wavan piping.

At Clogher several holes were drilled in the concrete wall at the end of the pier facing out - unfortunately they are a bit shallow but may serve - they are not dissimilar from what the birds were using previously high on the east side of the main pier. Please let me know if anyone sees them being used, date, time, how many birds etc..to date i have seen only a single bird in thea area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clogher head black guillemot holes.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	77194  Click image for larger version

Name:	black guillemots displaying mar 07.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	77195  
Old Saturday 24th March 2007, 18:42   #746
ardnasx1
Sandra

At Lurgangreen this afternoon there were 59 pinkfooted geese, a lot of them were in the long grass and I'm sure there were more there but 59 was the highest count I got. There were over 400 greylag and around 25 white fronted. Nice number of brent too. There was a flock of tree sparrows on the lane down.
Old Monday 26th March 2007, 10:29   #747
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnasx1
At Lurgangreen this afternoon there were 59 pinkfooted geese, a lot of them were in the long grass and I'm sure there were more there but 59 was the highest count I got. There were over 400 greylag and around 25 white fronted. Nice number of brent too.
Didn't get as good a count of pinkfeet at Lurgangreen yesterday but heard on bins that someone counted 69. It really takes persistence to spot them through the long grass and I'd imagine that that figure could still rise. Counted 567 greylags, and spotted just one dark bellied brent.
Old Tuesday 27th March 2007, 09:53   #748
MargaretM

What a difference the hour change has made - lovely long evenings!!! Took advantage of the longer daylight and went out by Cruisetown, Hermitage and Salterstown. Tide almost in but the sea was quiet enough but plenty of Scoters and quite a few Red Throated Divers, a couple in summer plumage, looking quite magnificent, also just a few Red Breasted Mergansers.
Old Tuesday 27th March 2007, 14:08   #749
Peter Phillips

Clogher Head

Quote:
At Clogher several holes were drilled in the concrete wall at the end of the pier facing out - unfortunately they are a bit shallow but may serve - they are not dissimilar from what the birds were using previously high on the east side of the main pier. Please let me know if anyone sees them being used, date, time, how many birds etc..to date i have seen only a single bird in thea area.
Went out to Clogher Head at lunch time today. Very quiet, a single chiffchaff in the youth hostel garden was the highlight.

Had a look aroud the pier. No sign of any Black Guillemots. Two years ago I counted 12 birds this time of year.

Hermitage and Cruisetown quiet.

Peter
Old Tuesday 27th March 2007, 16:00   #750
gareth2005

Anybody seen any Swallows ? Haven't seen any myself yet

Last edited by gareth2005 : Tuesday 27th March 2007 at 16:16.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: