• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What birds will I see (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone,

I'll be taking a 12 day cruise in mid-May. Port of departure..Dover, England. Then sailing to Copenhagen, Warnemuende, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, and Stockholm. Spending a day in each and 2 in St. Petersburg. Will be hanging on the rail between ports in hopes of spotting something.

The question.....What common species will I likely encounter during this trip at that time of year. We don't intend to venture far from the towns at which we are docking but do walk in the local parks.

Thanks in advance.
Dennis

Have you experience of European birds yet?

I guess we've got enough time to fill you in country by country?

Start by purchasing the "Collins Guide 2nd Edition." And the "Birds of Europe" by Lars Jonsson. If you can afford! :eek!:

Study the distribution maps for species. Then understand better what you want to see, and where.

You will get much help on the way. That's a BF guarantee!

Let's see this thread develop! :t:

Happy cruising! :t:

I have spent 4 days in London and 4 more in Rome. This has been the extent of my European bird exposure. I am particularly interested in anyone having specific knowledge of which birds are common to Dover harbour, the city of Tallinn, etc. I do have "Birds of Europe" and study my guides before my travels.

Hi Dennis , you are likely to see all the regular Gulls in Dover Harbour such as :

Great Black-Backed Gull
Lesser Black - Backed Gull
Herring Gull
Black-Headed Gull
Common Gull

Its also worth keeping an eye out for Med Gull to as they are seen from time to time , also on approach to or from harbour there is a chance of Gannet and Kittiwake, you get the odd wader turn up such as , Redshank and Turnstone also Rock pipit can be seen. Hope this helps and good luck with your trip :t:

http://robs-birding.blogspot.com/

We did this cruise last year, and didn't get chance to see much in the way of birds, other than your usual gulls and garden birds, but you will have a fantastic time as the cities you are visiting vary so much, my only advice is take a jumper or two

Thanks Dark Knight......Redshank and Rock Pipit would be lifers.

Deb.... We plan on the 2 day tour of St. Petersburg and just walking around the streets and parks of the other cities.

This may sound crazy to the Europeans but I really would like to see Dunnock as it would be both a life bird and a new Family for me.

This may sound crazy to the Europeans but I really would like to see Dunnock as it would be both a life bird and a new Family for me.
I've heard that from a lot of North Americans.
If you're staying in any hotels in Britain between your time at the airport & Dover just wander around some bushes areas in town or around some gardens & you're sure to see one.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/d/dunnock/index.aspx
Where to see them
Inhabits any well vegetated areas with scrub, brambles and hedges. Look in deciduous woodland, farmland edges, parks and gardens. Keeps largely on the ground and often close to cover.

Thank you moose. I also have not seen an old world warbler species as of yet. 50 new world warblers..... but came up blank on my 2 long weekend trips to London and Rome. Those trips were both in March, not a great warbler time of year.

I've heard that from a lot of North Americans.

They're not just like any old brown US bird; it's the different 'accent or' something that makes them seem so attractive ...

(sorry, wanted to make that joke again ;) ).

Seriously, if you're passing through on a cruise you should see some good birds, but conversely you might find it hard to get a good list going.

Not sure if you'll find much on here on Tallin itself, but this link covers Estonia;

http://www.fatbirder.com/links_geo/europe/estonia.html

Depending on the time you have there is also the birdingpal network, you may be able to get someone to hook up with you if that is your inclination or get info if by any chance you don't get enough here on birdforum ...

Last edited:
No time in Dover at all....They are running straight from airport to ship and back again. Only birds I will see are at the port and as the ship sails.

Thanks for the link dantheman. I have been in contact with one birdpal from Finland but we won't be able to get the timing right. I may try some others.

Sorry Dennis, I hadn't realised you were not from UK, in which case the usual to me, is not the usual to you. In the parks & harbours I managed to get, Fieldfairs, white wagtail, pied wagtail, house & tree sparrows, common terns, whearears (in Tallin harbour) redshanks, cormotants (nesting in trees on the long sail into Stockholm). Good Luck. This really is a great cruise.

Last edited:
I'm sure you know this already but don't forget to poke about the decks of the ship, especially first thing in the mornings. Plenty of migrant landbirds will hitch a ride and virtually anything could turn up. Let us know how you get on.

Fieldfare, Eurasian Tree sparrow and Wheatear will all be new for me.

As for poking around the ship in the morning....On my last trip to the Caribbean(October) I discovered Great Blue Heron, Peregrine Falcon, Black-throated Green Warbler, Common Yellowthroat and Tennessee Warbler while making my rounds of the deck.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back