• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

30x or 40x eyepiece with EDIII (1 Viewer)

markgriff

markgriff
30x or 40x eyepiece with EDIII

I'm hoping a few of you have had experience of both of these eyepieces on the Fieldscope EDIII?

I was trying to decide which one to go for and was interested in the views of any of you who have used both of them?

I know from what I have read previously that the 30x eyepiece is highly praised on the EDIII but I was interested to know how the 40x eyepiece compares? Is there a noticable drop in brightness / FOV?

Which one do you prefer??

Thanks,

The Nikon website quotes the FOV on the 30x as 42m at 1000m and the 40x has a FOV of 31m at the same distance. It also gives the relative brightness of the two E/P's as 3.6 for the 30x and 2.3 for the 40x. Hope this helps. Maybe someone else can explain the meaning of the relative brightness figures.

This probably won't help much but I have a EDIII and and my eyepieces are 24XWA and 40XWA and the 20X60 zoom.

I primarily use the 40X eyepiece for scanning flocks of waterfowl and shorebirds. The 40x has a field that is about 10% less than the 20X has on the zoom.

Unless light conditions are really bad I have no problem with viewing with the 40X.

My primary use of the 24X is for identifying flying raptors on hawk watches.

If I were limited to one eyepiece it would be the 30X WA

This link will take you to Nikon's site on their eyepiece specs.

http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/scopes/mc/index.htm

Thanks for your replies guys. I have a 40x EP on my larger diascope but I wasn't sure how the smaller Fieldscope would handle a similar mag EP? I think those figures help answer that question.

I think I'll go for the 30x EP as I've read a lot of positive comments on it...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back