• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (16 Viewers)

Having been inspired by our week in the Northern Isles, perhaps we could insert a few Shetland names. Quick quiz - what do people guess the common English name of the following are? (no sneaky research on t'interweb). All have occurred at Upton:

Bonxie
Shalder
Swaabie
Scootie allan
Tirrick
Solans
Whaup
Horsegok (no jokes abour Mr Wan)
Gauk
Lintie
Scarf

Just a hint that birds are arriving from the east, This is today's Titchwell highlights.

Titchwell October 13th
Today’s highlights

An amazing day...

Short-eared owl – 50 (FIFTY) in/off the sea with 46 between 13:30 – 16:30. County record?
Yellow browed warbler – 1+ on Meadow Trail
Great grey shrike – 1 briefly on saltmarsh @ 11:05
Great white egret – 1 over main path but no further details
Common crane – 1 on saltmarsh
Jack snipe – 1 on saltmarsh pool behind Island Hide
Purple sandpiper – 1 on beach
Hen harrier – ringtail in/off sea, male hunting over saltmarsh
Spotted redshank – 9 on saltmarsh

Can't wait for tomorrow just need to think of an excuse to be out of the office!

Paul

Having been inspired by our week in the Northern Isles, perhaps we could insert a few Shetland names. Quick quiz - what do people guess the common English name of the following are? (no sneaky research on t'interweb). All have occurred at Upton:

Bonxie
Shalder
Swaabie
Scootie allan
Tirrick
Solans
Whaup
Gauk
Lintie
Scarf

For some strange reason I think I have seen Horsegok referred to as Snipe..or more likely the other way around ;)

By the way if anyone should see a Coalmouse when I am on the reserve I need it for my UW yearlist still :-C

Bonxie
Shalder
Swaabie
Scootie allan
Tirrick
Solans
Whaup
Gauk
Lintie
Scarf

Skootie allan - Arctic Skua
Solans - Gannet

Not too sure of the rest without looking them up.

Speaking as a hedgelayer - 'Layering' is the only effective way (apart from actually coppicing) to produce more, fresh, growth - particularly with a non-suckering species such as Hawthorn. Selective removal of stems might increase the lighting conditions and promote seed-regeneration depending on adjacent shade conditions. If you decide to lay in sections then i would have thought about 5 metres minimum in order to achieve some sort of castellated effect..........

Just my thoughts -

Laurie:t:

Sounds like you're the man then!

Is it picture time? Just wondered...
In no particular order...

I was trying to capture the ambience today (that's an excuse for not being able to find any particularly earth-moving species).
Common as they come but I tried to capture the right wing down of the Canadas before landing in to wind here.

There were several Cormorants on the reserve today. With lots of exiting and egressing, so my high count could be misleading...

Yes, I know, it's a Dunnock... but it was giving it plenty so...

Perhaps an aspect of a GSW that you won't have seen before...

Having sat in the concrete hide for so long even a fly by Cormorant was going to get it!

Attachments

• CGs.jpg
    CGs.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Cormorant.jpg
    Cormorant.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Dunnock.jpg
    Dunnock.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 50
  • GSW.jpg
    GSW.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Cormorant1.jpg
    Cormorant1.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
It's surprising how photogenic grey squirrels can be when they don't think you can see them.

One of my favourite wildfowl species, the Shoveler.

I'm going to have a stab at this, without the aid of Google... JTB used a word last year that describes the worm-like effect on early season wildfowl plumage - vermiculation? Whatever the answer, the Teals are almost out of eclipse plumage now.

This wee Robin greeted me on the causeway this morning... couldn't possibly ignore him!

Lucky shot of a Jay that happened to land where I was looking for a split second.

Attachments

• GSquirrel.jpg
    GSquirrel.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 41
  • Shove.jpg
    Shove.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 45
  • Teal.jpg
    Teal.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Robin.jpg
    Robin.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Jay.jpg
    Jay.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
It's surprising how photogenic grey squirrels can be when they don't think you can see them.

One of my favourite wildfowl species, the Shoveler.

I'm going to have a stab at this, without the aid of Google... JTB used a word last year that describes the worm-like effect on early season wildfowl plumage - vermiculation? Whatever the answer, the Teals are almost out of eclipse plumage now.

This wee Robin greeted me on the causeway this morning... couldn't possibly ignore him!

Lucky shot of a Jay that happened to land where I was looking for a split second.

Some nice shots there. Pretty good for a quiet day!

Thanks very much. I've processed a few more that show some of the other aspects of the reserve.

I don't get over to the Moors as often as I should. You'll probably tell me that this was done months ago, but the revamped approach to the East Hide is much appreciated.

These daisy-like flowers were in abundance, but shamefully, I don't know what they're called. I think Gert included a picture of them last weekend.

Similarly, there were a fair few berries evident that I couldn't identify...

There was no sign of the livestock when I was in the East hide, they only showed up from the other side of the pool.

And one for John...

Attachments

• East Hide Approach.jpg
    East Hide Approach.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 65
  • flower.jpg
    flower.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Berries.jpg
    Berries.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 38
  • East Hide.jpg
    East Hide.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Lapwings.jpg
    Lapwings.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 53
Thanks very much. I've processed a few more that show some of the other aspects of the reserve.

These daisy-like flowers were in abundance, but shamefully, I don't know what they're called. I think Gert included a picture of them last weekend.

And one for John...

Sy, the flowers are 'Michaelmas Daisies' - a garden escape from North America. There are similar, related native plants such as Sea Asters. They are from the 'composite' family of plants which includes daisies and dandelions.

Is it picture time? Just wondered...

Having sat in the concrete hide for so long even a fly by Cormorant was going to get it!

Surprised I didn't bump into you Sy.

I set out from Stourbridge in 'glorious' sunshine with long-awaited new camera to play with, hoping I'd learn a bit about it.
Sat in the concrete hide as the drizzle fell and the light faded trying to work out what buttons to push. Probably the worst conditions for photography for many months!

The snipe sat asleep for 2 hours!
I drew everybody's attention to the sprwk and watched it fly off before I remembered I'd got a camera!
Water rail popped out for a few moments,
KFs flew round the reeds repeatedly but settled for 30 seconds. (now I obviously need a 500mm lens but at twice the price I usually pay for a car that's not going to happen.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 62
Speaking as a hedgelayer - 'Layering' is the only effective way (apart from actually coppicing) to produce more, fresh, growth - particularly with a non-suckering species such as Hawthorn. Selective removal of stems might increase the lighting conditions and promote seed-regeneration depending on adjacent shade conditions. If you decide to lay in sections then i would have thought about 5 metres minimum in order to achieve some sort of castellated effect..........

Just my thoughts -

Laurie:t:

Hi Laurie
re hedgerow At the flashes: last year we cut down to 3 feet a strip c 5 metres wide. This year it has sprouted in small pockets but has been dominated by the hops from adjacent areas of the hedge. What affect does hop have on the thorn bushes. ie does it smoother it and ultimately kill it...B :)John

Surprised I didn't bump into you Sy.

I set out from Stourbridge in 'glorious' sunshine with long-awaited new camera to play with, hoping I'd learn a bit about it.
Sat in the concrete hide as the drizzle fell and the light faded trying to work out what buttons to push. Probably the worst conditions for photography for many months!

The snipe sat asleep for 2 hours!
I drew everybody's attention to the sprwk and watched it fly off before I remembered I'd got a camera!
Water rail popped out for a few moments,
KFs flew round the reeds repeatedly but settled for 30 seconds. (now I obviously need a 500mm lens but at twice the price I usually pay for a car that's not going to happen.
Roger what lens do you have
I am going to get a bridge camera with a 30 x mag..(fuji hs20 i think) do any of the photographers out there have any experience with them and do any of you use one.
I know Spoonbill finder and hairy birder have got Fuji hs10's and woodwolf has a canon SX30 anyone else got one and if so what do you think.
:t:John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back