• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

great blue heron population what on earth happened? (1 Viewer)

scuba0095

Hey all

For the last few years I have personally noticed LOTS of great blue herons? I mean i even see them flying up over the city on a reg basis. Here i see more great blue herons then red tailed hawks or even canada geese! (But when i do see them they are usually just flying alone) People say the double crested cormorant's pop has gone way UP YET all I usually see is great blues! I also noticed I have not seen a single herring gull in years! Very odd. Turkey vultures and great blue herons are MUCH MUCH More common here then herring gulls or red tailed hawks. Im in the kingston ontario region. Anyways any explination for this would be great. Do they not have any natural predators?

I have read that they will take over canada geese nests if this is true how on earth do they get the adult geese away from the nest? DO they fight for it??? ALSO ive heard double crested cormorants will take over great blue heron nests, oonce again how is this possible with the bird still sitting on the nest?? If someone has the expertise to explain this that would be great! :) :clap:

I don't know but I've noticed a ton of great blue herons over my way too. I enjoy watching the young herons in the rookery come spring.

I've noticed more this year than ever here in New England. It seems like they are everywhere. A couple of other birders have commented on it. Maybe it has to do with the increase in Canada Geese?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back