• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Curlews are here...... (1 Viewer)

Phil133

Always nice to see the return of Curlews to moors to breed, just past a field and stopped to count a flock of around 2 dozen, spring is here :t:

Still haven't got a good photo of one though, maybe this year |=)|

There is a very small (2 pairs or so) breeding population on my home patch. They are back again and hopefully they can produce some offspring. I saw one juvenile last year.

Lets hope so Chris.

Curlews are one of me favourite birds along with Lapwing. Think it probably goes back to when I was a kid, the local fields use to be full and the mix of call from both birds was and still is, a beautiful sound |=)|

Yes. Some are back around Holmfirth - along with the first of the Lapwings.

On another subject - was driving past Blacka Moor yesterday and saw a bloke with a big lens pointed at a bird on a fence wire - couldn't stop - but maybe GGS!?

Yes. Some are back around Holmfirth - along with the first of the Lapwings.

On another subject - was driving past Blacka Moor yesterday and saw a bloke with a big lens pointed at a bird on a fence wire - couldn't stop - but maybe GGS!?

I spend most of my time around Scammonden, Dean Head, Buckstones and Ringstone so not a million miles away from Holmfirth :)

What does GGS mean?? cheers

Edit- it might have just come to me......Great Grey Shrike??

Yes, Phil, Great Grey.

I counted at least 20 pairs each of Curlew & Lapwing, & a pair Oystercatcher my way - plus a Red Kite !

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back