• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id linnet or twite? (1 Viewer)

markgrubb

Leading a life of quiet desperation
Was down at Musselburgh at first light today-only got about 400 yds along the sea wall before I had to turn back as the rain started to pour down. Saw 2 birds briefly. Now as a relative beginner I thought linnet initially but they had a longish forked tail with white edging, a general darker tone then most linnet I see and heavier streaking. I got 2 poor pics. Can anyone id from these

Thanks

Mark

Attachments

• bird2.jpg
    bird2.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 252
  • bird1.jpg
    bird1.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 207
Judging from the amount of white on the wing I'd say Linnet, but with the caveat that I've only ever seen Twite in the field once (they're rarer than Rose-coloured Starlings in the south west)

Thanks guys. As a relative beginner saw a flock of about 100 twite last winter at Dunbar on a couple of occasions but that was my only view. Remember their pinging nasal call. Thought today that these birds had a pale bill along with the features mentioned. However imagination is a powerful influence and linnet are certainly very common at Musselburgh so you are probably right

On the first photo you can see enough colour contrast between grey head, chestnut mantle, and dark wings to rule out Twite - they're much more uniform. (One of those birds whose best feature is that they have no features, if you know what I mean!). They do have a yellowish bill, though, which your birds don't show.

Also worth a note is that Twite call is very close to saying their name ("Tveet") - easy to remember

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back