• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Portable Bird Hides (1 Viewer)

rosy tern

Hi,

I am not sure where I should post this but here goes.

I'm looking to buy a portable camouflaged bird hide for use in the field. I want something that is lightweight, preferably for two people, and is easily assembled. Does anyone know the best places on the net where these sorts of thing are avaliable.

Many thanks

Rosy

Hi Rosy and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Moderators and Admin. Staff.
I'm sure someone will be able to help you with your enquiry - I'd be interested to hear about it myself.
If you DO get one, just make sure it doesn't trampled in October ;)

Warehouse Express sell portable hides (under the photographic section) just follow the link at the top of this page ;)

Hi Rosy
I've used the ones from 'Jamie Wood' for the last 10 years. Tough as old boots and quick to set up. Try www.birdtables.com
I don't like nulon ones, they flap and scare birds away. Canvas is best!

Den

Thanks for all the help guys.

I hadnt realised that they would be so expensive. They seem to be more than a normal tent, except they lack the fly sheet and ground matt! Im now thinking Ill cobble something together from an old pair of pants and a bit of baler twine! ;)

Rosy

Hi Rosy

You coud always try toilet tents and camo netting or how about a childs 'wendy house' in an 'action man' (GI joe for those in the US) style?

Woody

birder camo

Try army surplus camo mesh. Easy to hang from branch with cloths pins to sit behind in wait. Cut a slit/flap for lens to poke out . Very inexpensive compared to prefab blinds. After use just ball up and store in bag.

BiLL :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

hide

i got a cracking bird hide from a seller on ebay. they are supposed to be ex-demo but he has sold a few and mine was as brand new. it is made of a heavy duty waterproof material, and it has the excellent advantage realtree pattern printed all round. it takes just 1 minute to set up as it is made of strong springs. you just take it out the bag and shake it and hey presto,,,,,,,instant hide. all you do then is insert 2 poles into the roof area and job done.and if its windy there are guy ropes attached that you can peg down.
the hide is excellent and the pattern really blends into woodlands etc. it is also very warm and snug on a cold day.
on three sides it has a large zippered flap, and if that is too large for what you want then there are smaller zipperd flaps complete with scrim netting that just velcros over the aperture and you really cannot see inside. also the inside of the hide is completely black and not see through, thus making any movement inside hard to see. i use mine for photography with long lenses and cannot recommend it enough.
the price bit.................they sell normally for a minimum of £150 but they were on ebay fo a bargain £70. i got mine about 1 year ago but i know the seller has sold a few of these so keep a look out on ebay. sorry but cannot remember the sellers name.

p.s. 2 people can sit comfortably in this hide complete with tripods, or if you are on your own, if need be it is possible to lay diagonally and sleep in the hide like a tent.

reptilian said:
..or if you are on your own, if need be it is possible to lay diagonally and sleep in the hide like a tent.

I like the sound of that

Just add one hipflask and you've got a plan!!

Matt

rosy tern said:
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a portable camouflaged bird hide for use in the field. I want something that is lightweight, preferably for two people, and is easily assembled. Does anyone know the best places on the net where these sorts of thing are avaliable.

Many thanks

Rosy

Hello Rosy
Try Cabella's, I purchased two Grizzly hides @ $40 each last year, wonderful service they worked out at £44 each inc duty and VAT, you can pay the duty to the courier at the door or pay UPS by Visa online like I did. Very good service great piece of kit. Check this site.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...WSSCOIK0BW0MIWE?id=cat540014&_requestid=96950

The hide I have would seat two people, even wheel chair access. It pops up in seconds, can take seconds or more to pack back into to bag once you get used to packing it away. I have used my hide in open cover the birds don't seem to bother I often set it up on the garden two or 3 metres from the target. As you will see they have lots of models to pick from mine in the G-10 Grizzly model priced at $39.99 US.

Regards

Roy.

I also got my hide from Cabelas it a Ameristep dodhouse blind about £65 plus tax etc also someone posted a link to somewhere in the EU that were advertizing a hide for 30 Euros ill see if i cant find it.

Rosy go into Cameras and Photography then the Technique section then cheap birding /photography hide and youll find a link from there its from a German website and its 35Euros inc vat at that price you cant go wrong.

I got this fishing shelter from I think Nettos for 20 pound it pops up in seconds, weighs about 2kg, is 69cms across when folded the window at the back ( which becomes the front )can be converted for camera or scope, I am thinking of cutting out part of the base to move it easier and peg or weigh down from the inside, probably a bit too cosy for two,or cosy for two ?
Brian

Attachments

• tent.jpg
    tent.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 366
Hi,

Many thanks

Rosy

Hi Rosy,
Check out these, http://www.ultimateaddons.co.uk/Hunting/Hunting_Hides.htm

Cheers
Brian

I just got a cracking new hide from Cabelas in the USA, $49.99 plus $40 postage, which works out at £55.17 total. It took 7 days from ordering online to receiving it. Its a pop up, which takes 5 seconds to erect and is plenty big enough for 2 people, and is wheelchair accessible.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back