• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus speed: Rebel XT vs 30D (1 Viewer)

blackburnian

Owl Nut
Hi All,

I shoot mainly birds and my current set up is the XT with a 100-400mm lens.

Since I can't afford a Mark11, I'm considering the new 30d to achieve faster focus while in AI servo mode. My current set up is good and I'm getting descent results with birds in flight but missing that extra speed in AI servo mode.

I'm familiar with aperture, light and speed combos and mainly intyerested in the new technology. I.E., under the right conditions, will the 30D give me faster focus?

Marc

blackburnian said:
Hi All,

Since I can't afford a Mark11, I'm considering the new 30d to achieve faster focus while in AI servo mode.

You may find this link useful, I am having the same thoughts to get that bit extra from my 400 5.6? My logic is that the 20d is better than the 350d, so if, as I have read, the 30d is better than both of those it may well be worth the upgrade?

# The EOS 20D has 9 autofocus zones, the Digital Rebel XT has 7
# The EOS 20D provides full cross-type performance with maximum apertures as small as f5.6, yet it achieves up to 3 times the standard focusing precision when used with EF lenses featuring maximum apertures larger than or equal to f/2.8. The autofocus system of the Digital Rebel XT is inherited from the film Rebel XT body and has normal precision f5.6 sensors.
# The EOS 20D autofocus is specified to operate in 1 stop lower light than the Digital Rebel autofocus (-0.5 EV vs +0/5 EV)
# The EOS 20D autofocus is faster than the autofocus on the Digital Rebel XT

http://bobatkins.photo.net/photography/digital/canon_eos_30D_review.html

Plus the faster frame rate and useable 3200iso.

I will follow this link with interest?

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back