• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brock are you selling your SE's? (1 Viewer)

My dear fellow ergonomics-obsessive (E-O),

Here's the rub with the SEs. If you get too close to the EPs, you get image blackouts. So shorter eyecups would induce this. The EII eyecups fit the SE, same diameter but different length. They are comfortable, but if I move my eyes or the bins, the image blacks out because my eyes are too close to the EPs and fall into SAEP Zone (spherical aberration of the exit pupils).

The only solution I found acceptable was using the EII eyecups with a pair of 804 Audubon eyecups inserted inside. Puts me at the perfect distance from the EPs so that I can even dart my eyes toward the horizontal edges without image blackouts. I can't quite see the field edge, still have to tilt the bin slightly to see it but this set up solves both the comfort and blackout issues.

I wish Nikon had indented the eyecups like Doctor does on its Nobilem series rather than bringing them all the way to the end of the ocular housing.

I think that reflects who designed them. Japanese generally have flatter facial features whereas Germans tend to have deeper set eyes and higher bridge noses like me and Ringo.

Brock, the E-O

Aha, I see. You've already done what I had in mind, that is inserting smaller eyecups into the SE's eyecups. Excellent.
The Doctor Nobilem eyecups won't fit on the SE's oculars, would they? If the diameter basis is a match, you could swap the SE's eyecups for the Doctor's and benefit from the indented rubber cup?

And which Ringo might you be referring to?

Best regards,

Ronald, E-O

Aha, I see. You've already done what I had in mind, that is inserting smaller eyecups into the SE's eyecups. Excellent.
The Doctor Nobilem eyecups won't fit on the SE's oculars, would they? If the diameter basis is a match, you could swap the SE's eyecups for the Doctor's and benefit from the indented rubber cup?

And which Ringo might you be referring to?

Best regards,

Ronald, E-O

Why, the Ringo Kid, of course!

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsW/18060-18105.gif

Brock MacLennon

Last edited:
Have you sold the SE's yet? You had alot of hits. I believe it was over 250 but I guess 50 were mine. I bet when you opened your E-mail you thought man there is alot of interest in those SE's when you saw all those Astromart reply's. You were probably ready to raise the price. It made me giggle at work today thinking about the look on your face. HaHa.

I saw your email address so I knew they were all from you. What I thought before opening your six amart replies was that you had become disenchanted with your SV ELs, and after buying (and returning) every new binocular known to man, you decided to go retro by buying an "Old Technology" 8x32 SE since you finally realized how much you were getting ripped off chasing the latest and greatest roofs, which optics engineers had to make all sorts of expensive improvements to in order to just match the SE, let alone surpass it.

Anyway, when you live up to your title of "King of Returns" and return your SV ELs, I will have the last laugh! HaHa.

Brock

I saw your email address so I knew they were all from you. What I thought before opening your six amart replies was that you had become disenchanted with your SV ELs, and after buying (and returning) every new binocular known to man, you decided to go retro by buying an "Old Technology" 8x32 SE since you finally realized how much you were getting ripped off chasing the latest and greatest roofs, which optics engineers had to make all sorts of expensive improvements to in order to just match the SE, let alone surpass it.

Anyway, when you live up to your title of "King of Returns" and return your SV ELs, I will have the last laugh! HaHa.

Brock

Your funny! You sure liven up Bird Forum. I always get a kick out of your posts. Do you still have the Nikon 10x35 EII's I sold you?

;)
Brock
How come your selling you Nikon 8x32 SE's? Are you subscribing to the flavor of the week like me now? I thought the SE's were your favorite binoculars? Or are you selling off your collection to get an SV the latest and greatest? I guess your first love the Nikon SE started picking it's nose and eating it's boogers and grew bunions the size of onions. *POP*, the bubble bursts, and it's over. And now she's on Astromart! HaHa! We all succumb to it sooner or later.

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=735150

Dennis:

I am replying after seeing your post and I think you may be somewhat
shortsited. Many here may sell different optics from time to time, and may
have duplicates, I know I do. I am thinking you have returned many and have
sold them also. 8-P

So this should not be the source of any kind of entertainment, but it seems you do.

I am thinking of you as a cook at IHOP, who likes to flip. :t: You are well known
to take a quick glance, offer your opinion, and then on to the next.

For many experienced optics users, it takes days and longer to get to know
an optic.

I think this post was out of place.

Jerry

;)

Dennis:

I am replying after seeing your post and I think you may be somewhat
shortsited. Many here may sell different optics from time to time, and may
have duplicates, I know I do. I am thinking you have returned many and have
sold them also. 8-P

So this should not be the source of any kind of entertainment, but it seems you do.

I am thinking of you as a cook at IHOP, who likes to flip. :t: You are well known
to take a quick glance, offer your opinion, and then on to the next.

For many experienced optics users, it takes days and longer to get to know
an optic.

I think this post was out of place.

Jerry

"I am thinking of you as a cook at IHOP, who likes to flip" Funny! Lighten up Jerry it is all in humor.

Brock

"King of Returns"! That title fits me perfectly! I bet Amazon, Eagle Optics and Cameraland hate to see me order binoculars. I love SE's and EII's. Having only one binocular though it has to be waterproof. The SV is about the only roof that gives me as good of an image and is waterproof.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back