• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One day in England (1 Viewer)

If you can get a lift then Minsmere it would be a superb introduction to European birds, at any time of year ( and stuff is usually easier to find than in the New Forest). London Wetland Centre is ( almost ) Central London and has an amazing bird list, as do Kew Gardens / Richmond Park. Just remember, the birds in St. James' and Green Parks are c.99% from collections.

Hyde Park is nice considering it is right in the middle of London, it doesn't have a collection- pretty dodgy breeding Egyptian Geese, RC Pochards and Mandarins along with some nice other species can be found there (including Little, Tawny Owls and Hobby). Probably worth a visit if you're in the middle of London.

England

Thanks everyone for the posts. I've been out of town for a couple of days and just saw the numerous kind replies since I left. I'll do research based upon what everyone has posted.

Thank you again,

John E.

These are not the easiest birds to see!

Sorry to answer before John, but I would recommend Acres Down. It's very close to Winchester and is great for Goshawk, Honey-buzzard, Hobby, Redstart and Wood Warblers etc.. There aren't any hides there but there are good opportunities for photos. Blashford Lakes are fantastic as well- about half an hour from Winchester.

Depends what kind of species you favour really, I personally tend to favour waders and raptors so would recommend somewhere like Oare marshes which you can walk to from Faversham station (which is an hour by train from St Pancras) and can get 10+ wader species and 6+ raptors on a decent day, though if this is for summer its probably not the optimum time...

See, if you come into Heathrow and hire a car you can be on Acres Down in just over an hour (straight out onto the M25 and down the M3), and knocking off waders at Pennington half an hour after deciding to move on. Best of both worlds, and all the woodland,riparian, heathland, shore and sea species in one hit.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back