• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urgent - Memory Cards or Photo Storage Viewer? (1 Viewer)

Jaff

Registered Member
With my impending trip to Scotland only a little over a week away I'm trying to address the problem of storage space. At present I have a Sandisk 8Gb Ext. III but doubt that will be enough. Two possibilities exist at present.

I've got the Epson P4000 that was on MPB reserved for me once his phone is working again (was priced at £239 but returning a battery grip so that'll be £155 instead).

Or Warehouseexpress are doing some interesting deals on memory cards at present. You can buy twin pack kits of some of the larger capacity memory cards and save some money rather than buy them individually. Looking at the two 16GB Ext. III's for £134.

Which would be the better option IYO for my Scotland trip and any future trips and just the future in general?
Need some input ASAP as I'll get in touch with MPB later on this afternoon. So no pressure. ;)

Cheers everyone B :)
Adam

Hi Adam, I had a 5 day trip to east Hokkaido last month and I took two 8GB and one 4GB card and that was enough.

Those cards seem very very expensive. I got an 8GB card for around $30. Not Sandisk (the brand name is Transcend) but it works fine.

You have a 40D if I remember? 2X16GB worth of cards would give you over 3000 shots....

Just a thought ...

I've filled my 40GB drive (no viewing) that I use for this and backups. When thinking along the same lines we bought an 80GB Epson because we could put the European bird songs on it and use it as an mp3 player. Very handy, and having a good viewer allows us to keep on top of culling while on holiday.

Now I have a .5TB external drive ordered for backups :) so the Epson should do me a very long time.

Mike.

Looking at the two 16GB Ext. III's for £134.

I had a memory card fail on me once, losing all the shots on it.

For a standard camera, is there really such an advantage in buying so big memory card? Given they hardly take up any space, I'd buy several smaller size cards ...one fails and you lose only a fraction of the shots.

What you dont want to do is be in a situation where you run out of memory at a crucial time, lets say a Capercaillie sits in front of you and you have 10 shots left, you are going to be a bit miffed. I bought a P5000 for a trip to Spitsbergen a few years ago, aswell as the 20gb of cards i usually carry with me, a mixture of 4 and 2gb cards. Id have been really stuck if i hadnt. You can never have enough memory, but its very easy to have too little. I too only get cards up to 4gb, as well as losing less if they crash, they download far quicker to the P5000 if im getting stuck, and need a card quickly.

bought from www.mymemory.co.uk a 4 Gb Kingston 266x card, much faster than an Extreme III and a little cheaper. They seem to be out at the moment but have a Kingston Elite Pro 16Gb for 24.99 which is currently half price.......

I have got 9 CF cards ranging from 2 to 8Gb plus a 40Gb photo storage device for my upcoming trip. This is a combined total of something like 86 Gb which should be plenty. If it isn't I shall just buy some more.

@RobChace - 7 day shop is very good. I get my cards from them.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back