• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can a small bino really deliver? (1 Viewer)

The sun came out briefly here a short while ago (hurrah!) and I was able to compare the flare performance of my Zeiss Victory 8x20 against that of my Zeiss FL 8x32. I found that the 8x20 did not perform well in this respect as you suggest. Whilst careful eye placement helped to reduce the flare it is certainly considerably worse than in the 8x32 (minimal in comparison).

This is the one area that compacts can fall down if only because the small exit pupil doesn't take the edge of field glare well outside of your eye's pupil.

The 2.5mm to 4mm exit pupil makes a difference to glare and "usability" not brightness. Glare the real reason to prefer 6mm exit pupils (well that and reduced shake and increased brightness from the reduced magnification).

A modern 6x20 from any of the top four makers would be an interesting bin with a 3.3mm exit pupil. Unfortunately the market for compacts seems to be driven by 8x and 10x magnifications. It would be a great carry along too. Ideal for use from moving vehicles, canoes/kayaks and so on.

<snip>
A modern 6x20 from any of the top four makers would be an interesting bin with a 3.3mm exit pupil. Unfortunately the market for compacts seems to be driven by 8x and 10x magnifications. It would be a great carry along too. Ideal for use from moving vehicles, canoes/kayaks and so on.

I agree as I would be interested, but I also think there is a counter-intuitive element with compacts, namely the 10x25 which is the "big" compact. I find I can use a 10x25 in more adverse (ie, darker) conditions than an 8x20, due I'm assuming to twilight factor. Therefore I wonder if a 6x20 would be worse than an 8x20 and not better in that regard. However, I think you may have been more speaking to glare control than to overall performance.

I'm not worried about twilight use as the increased magnification at a constant exit pupil will always win at twilight at the cost of more shake and more weight.

I was thinking more about reducing glare, improving handling ergonomics and enabling a different range of uses. It would make a useful complementary bin rather than a similar but smaller bin.

Heck, one could add a 6x20 into the current range. Zeiss and others have made them in the past.

I'm not worried about twilight use as the increased magnification at a constant exit pupil will always win at twilight at the cost of more shake and more weight.

I was thinking more about reducing glare, improving handling ergonomics and enabling a different range of uses. It would make a useful complementary bin rather than a similar but smaller bin.

Heck, one could add a 6x20 into the current range. Zeiss and others have made them in the past.

Speaking of ergonomics,

How does the idea of a wristwatch-compact sound? A compact worn in the way you wear a wristwatch.
Just popped to my mind. Has this been done?
It's conveniently straight-forward in use, quick, handsfree. Hm....

What do you all think? Advantages vs. disadvantages?

Best regards,

Ronald

KorHaan,

nice try! Always inspiring with people who think outside the box.

However I see major disadvantages - the act of holding the binoculars, always with the same arm, with no way to adjust the position of the elbow, will be very tiresome.
Furthermore, there is a risk that the wrist will hit the nose when you try to get close to the binoculars, unless they have a huge eye relief.
At last, the binoculars are very prone to get damaged when they are kept in that position, compared to having them on the chest or in a pocket.

I know, because I have a number of wrist-watches that have had peculiar scratches, despite the fact that I consider myself a careful and calm person.

But don't stop the creative thinking of yours! One day you will get that smashing idea that will erase any competition.

Kind regards

looksharp65

KorHaan,

However I see major disadvantages - the act of holding the binoculars, always with the same arm, with no way to adjust the position of the elbow, will be very tiresome.
Furthermore, there is a risk that the wrist will hit the nose when you try to get close to the binoculars, unless they have a huge eye relief.
At last, the binoculars are very prone to get damaged when they are kept in that position, compared to having them on the chest or in a pocket.

I know, because I have a number of wrist-watches that have had peculiar scratches, despite the fact that I consider myself a careful and calm person.

But don't stop the creative thinking of yours! One day you will get that smashing idea that will erase any competition.

Kind regards

looksharp65

Why not have them ''mounted'' to your wrist, a la wristwatch, but detatchable, either fully with a disconnect button, or partially........they could have a low tension retractable cord like a dog leash?

Just thinking out loud here........ :-O

What we really need are binoculars that actually disappear when not in use, and that appear only when required, at the snap of one´s fingers.

KorHaan,

Kind regards

looksharp65

Well,

You could wear them left or right, no problem. Would it be more tiresome?
Maybe, maybe not. Would they have a bigger chance to get damaged in this exposed position? It depends on what activities you're likely to get yourself involved in. Besides, aren't the alpha compacts tough as nails?

I'm not blind for the disadvantages, but I'd like to contemplate a bit over the supposed advantages.

You have your hands free.

No dangling bins on the chest.

Probably a steadier view? I always found my thumbs to be the major cause for more shake when holding bins the usual way. Anyone who tried the "thumbs-up" grip knows what I mean.
Those with big hands could handle a compact worn on the wrist.

The alleged disadvantage of your nose getting in the way I don't see;
I think it's an advantage to get a more steady view, or it's at most a non-issue, I believe.

I don't see why particularly small compacts couldn't be worn this way.
Think 6x20; 5x15; 8x20, even.

And what about monoculars? They might be even better suited for the wrist.

Best regards,

Ronald

Why not have them ''mounted'' to your wrist, a la wristwatch, but detatchable, either fully with a disconnect button, or partially........they could have a low tension retractable cord like a dog leash?

Just thinking out loud here........ :-O

Yes,

Detachable is a nice suggestion; you'd only need some small platform to mount the compacts. Maybe a wrist band connected to a broad elastic loop on top in which you can tighten the binnies.

Just thinking out loud, too B :)

Best regards,

Ronald

What we really need are binoculars that actually disappear when not in use, and that appear only when required, at the snap of one´s fingers.

Aha! The pistol-up-your-sleeve rail-gadget from "Taxidriver".
Wide sleeves required, but the compact pops out with the swing of an arm!

:-O

Best regards,

Ronald

It's time for me to try a compact. I can't try before I buy so resale is a consideration. Is one of these below a better deal / clear winner?

Both are in excellent condition.

Trinovid 8x20 BCA #40354 $290

Zeiss Victory 8x20 #522075 $355

Thanks,
Dave

Update....just pulled the trigger on the Trinovids...

Last edited:
Hi.:hi:
A few years ago,Val bought some 10x25 Zeiss, the problem was locating birds in trees,if the subject stayed around for her to locate it, then the result could not be faulted.
So lower magnification the better with compacts, is the answer in my opinion.
Regards
Rex :t:

I wanted to give an update now that I've had a 8x20 Trinovid BCA for a little while. They definately deliver a good view. I went with those since they fold up into the smallest package out of the different choices.

I got them used from Amazon and the transaction was great.

Thanks for the input.
Dave

I also agree with Dave i bought a 8x20 Tinovid and i think they are excellent goes into my shirt pocket and the view is very sharp infact on a bright day it is as good if not better than my Nikon Monarch 8x42 .However i do wear glasses and the eye relief is much better on the Monarch than the Trinovid.
I beleive the Ulravids are even better but obviously a lot more expensive.
Harold

I also agree with Dave i bought a 8x20 Tinovid and i think they are excellent goes into my shirt pocket and the view is very sharp infact on a bright day it is as good if not better than my Nikon Monarch 8x42 .However i do wear glasses and the eye relief is much better on the Monarch than the Trinovid.
I beleive the Ulravids are even better but obviously a lot more expensive.
Harold

" and the view is very sharp in fact on a bright day it is as good if not better than my Nikon Monarch 8x42"
I have to disagree with that statement! Sorry but I never found the Leica 8x20 Trinovids equal optically to the Nikon 8x42 Monarch. I found the Monarch superior in all respects. Just my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back