• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Something Wrong with My Eyes? (1 Viewer)

Recently purchased a Zen-Ray ED2 10X43 when viewing through this it the first time was just like my Leuopd golden ring HD 10X42. No after effect. However after a week later, looking through the Zen-Ray I notice there is a dizziness or heavy adjustment moment right after viewing an object. This doesn't happen with the Leupold. This mean the Zen-Ray is not for my eyes? Or there is something wrong with this particular lens?

If you have any advice, I am all ears.

Thanks,
Kyle

Recently purchased a Zen-Ray ED2 10X43 when viewing through this it the first time was just like my Leuopd golden ring HD 10X42. No after effect. However after a week later, looking through the Zen-Ray I notice there is a dizziness or heavy adjustment moment right after viewing an object. This doesn't happen with the Leupold. This mean the Zen-Ray is not for my eyes? Or there is something wrong with this particular lens?

If you have any advice, I am all ears.

Thanks,
Kyle

Sounds like a defective unit (alignment problem). Send it back for repair or replacement.

Unless you gave them a good thumping, it seems unlikely that they would be in collimation one week and out the next.

Does this happen when you are looking at a stationary object or just while you are panning with the bin?

Do you get eyestrain? That's usually a good sign that your bin is out of collimation. Or if you pull your eyes back from the EPs and you feel "relief" from your crossed eyes relaxing.

Were you observing under sunny skies both times? Oh, California, guess that was a dumb question! Boy, those weatherman got it easy out there! :)

Or was the second time in the late afternoon or evening? I haven't tried the 10x43 model, but if the optics are similar to the 7x36 EDII, it probably has some distortion at the edges and pincushion.

I found that when it's sunny out, the "edge effects" are not that noticeable but when light levels fall, the edge effects became much more noticeable. I don't know if the 10x43 employes the same level of pincushion that the 7x does. If so, the effect of panning with a binocular with a large of pincushion can ironically have a similar affect of a bin with "rolling ball" and this can have a disorienting effect on some people.

Do a star test. Saturn is even better, with its larger angular diameter, you will notice if the planet is "double".

If you don't know where Saturn is, look at the bright orange star Arcturus. Look for the "Big Dipper" and follow the handle in an arc to the bright orange star, that's Arcturus ("arc to Arcturus").

Do you see one bright orange star or two stars or an elongated blob? Does the star focus into a fairly round object or a pinpoint? ("seeing" conditions will affect how finely you can resolve the star, but Arcturus shouldn't look like it has a twin).

If the star is round, then slowly pull your eyes back from the EPs a couple inches. Is the star still round?

If Arcturus is not fairly pinpoint (round, not flared or double) either when focusing on it or pulling your eyes back slightly from the EPs, then you probably have a collimation problem.

If the star test is okay, then you might be noticing the edge distortions while panning during the day. Find a nearby tree line and slowly pan across it all the way to the left and then right. Get a "heavy adjustment moment" when you start panning or reverse direction?

Look at a close by tree and tilt the bins up and down the tree more quickly. See anything "strange"?

If it passed the star test and you experience this "dizziness" only while panning or tilting as described, then it's the "edge effects" that you're noticing.

If it didn't pass, then you need a properly collimated pair of ZRs.

Brock

Last edited:
I thought the same. Maybe the lighting of the day, but this happened through out the day. I have couple of people look through this bins and they experienced the same way. They big question is how come I didn't experience this on the first week?

The worst thing was when looking at an object, (fix and moving) then move the bins away from my eyes. The effect was like I just putting someone else prescription glasses on.

I already contacted Charles from ZR. I am sending it in tomorrow morning. I really like bins over my Leupold and Vortex. Hopefully this is just a bad pair I got and not this model. I am sure they will take care of this.

Check the diopter. In my experience Zen's generally need some diopter tweaking. They won't sit on zero because the QC isn't what it could be.

Mark

It is possible for a roof to go out of collimation very suddenly--in fact it happened to me with a new pair of Swarovski 8x32 EL. According to them (it was fixed very quickly and has been perfect in the years since), the problem was that a retaining ring in one ocular assembly wasn't properly tightened which allowed an element (perhaps used for final collimation adjustment) to rotate to the wrong position.

--AP

I thought the same. Maybe the lighting of the day, but this happened through out the day. I have couple of people look through this bins and they experienced the same way. They big question is how come I didn't experience this on the first week?

The worst thing was when looking at an object, (fix and moving) then move the bins away from my eyes. The effect was like I just putting someone else prescription glasses on.

I already contacted Charles from ZR. I am sending it in tomorrow morning. I really like bins over my Leupold and Vortex. Hopefully this is just a bad pair I got and not this model. I am sure they will take care of this.

You have just described the classic symptom of looking through of slightly miscollimated binoculars. That moment right after you pull back from the eyecups and your eyes uncross. If they were WAY out, you'd notice it in the image too, particularly with a star test.

I'm sure Charles will fix you up with a properly collimated pair.

Brock

Kyle, as several members have pointed out, it does look like a classic infant mortality of collimation. Although it is rare, it does happen unfortunately. We will have it taken care of as soon as we have it.

Thanks

Charles

Thanks

Charles, thanks for your great customer service.

Kyle, as several members have pointed out, it does look like a classic infant mortality of collimation. Although it is rare, it does happen unfortunately. We will have it taken care of as soon as we have it.

Thanks

Charles

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back