• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (14 Viewers)

Went down to rodley today there was nothing there. Bumped into Peter Colley and he aid they'd had a green sand through last week, someone has put water rail on the board...

Best i could manage was 12 teal and 20+ Sand Martin

Might head somewhere new tomorrow maybe Tophill low, not sure. Need cheering up after today

jimmy2faces said:
Went down to rodley today there was nothing there. Bumped into Peter Colley and he aid they'd had a green sand through last week, someone has put water rail on the board...

Best i could manage was 12 teal and 20+ Sand Martin

Might head somewhere new tomorrow maybe Tophill low, not sure. Need cheering up after today

Jimmy, I'd go to Filey Brigg if I was you. Roosting Roseate Terns are daily at the moment, and it's a great place for digiscoping Purp. Sands etc. I'm hoping to get there myself this weekend if I can. Check tides though for access to Brigg.

Lawts said:
Jimmy, I'd go to Filey Brigg if I was you. Roosting Roseate Terns are daily at the moment, and it's a great place for digiscoping Purp. Sands etc. I'm hoping to get there myself this weekend if I can. Check tides though for access to Brigg.

Steve, do you think there are purps there at the moment? Wasn't sure if it was too early? The dams may hold the odd wader too.

Really need it after the tedium of Rodley today!

Marcus....if you go to Filey don't forget that the Leeds Festival is on this weekend and the A64 will be packed Sunday night as the popfans go home. Best bet would be to come over North of York to Wetherby and then you should miss the traffic.

jimmy2faces said:
Steve, do you think there are purps there at the moment? Wasn't sure if it was too early? The dams may hold the odd wader too.

Really need it after the tedium of Rodley today!

Sorry for the late message. You've probably set off to wherever you are going. Although evening is best for the Roseates if you haven't gone yet. Purps. will defo. be there. I got some there about a month ago and got some nice summer plumage shots + nice shots of summer plumage Sanderling and Knot. It is one of the best places in Britain to see Purps. just about all year round.

I wish I knew how to add photos to these messages - I could show you some of my efforts.

You have to get into the place. You get there and initially think nothing is about, then small waders just start popping up around you.

As for Dewsbury Sewage Farm - it is at grid ref. 221224. Saturday morning when a skeleton staff are working and the birder is likely to be birding his patch is probably best. Good place for wintering Green sand and excellent for Water Pipit.

Good birding.

Keith Dickinson said:
I don't know if this is the area but I do know that the Harrogate RSPB Wildlife Explorer group have a bit land out the A1 way which they have been working on for several years. A farmer donated a bit of land and they have dug ponds and generally worked on the area with a view to making it into a small sanctuary. This might be what you are seeing. If you contact the Lodge you'll be able to get the details for the Harrogate RSPB Members group who should be able to clarify things.

Keith checked them out, and their land is higher up near Ripley. Still can't track down who is creating hopefully my new local patch. I think next step is Harrogate Borough Council.

Got to do a little bit of birding this weekend as my girlfriend is back in Essex for a while.
Tophill Low was relatively quiet yesterday, with only Garganey, Green Sandpiper, Ruff and Snipe of any real interest. Highlight for me was a Grass Snake basking on one of the compost heaps. Still waiting to see an otter there (reports in log book regular).

Braved the thunder storms and drove to North Cave Wetlands after work today. Spotted Redshank, Green and Common Sandpipers, Little Ringed Plover and a pair of Common Buzzards were the best birds. Still waiting to see a bloody Turtle Dove. I'm sure all the reports in the log book are written just to mock me!

Stopped off at Paull Holme Strays on way back, but spent more time talking to a local birder than actually birding. According to the bloke there used to be two hides looking over the reserve, but they were both destroyed by vandals. Could have done with a hide today to shelter me from the wind. Birds noted at Paull included Black-tailed Godwits, Ringed Plover, Curlew and Redshank.

Not a bad few days. Also got a great view of a sparrowhawk in my garden.

skink1978 said:
Got to do a little bit of birding this weekend as my girlfriend is back in Essex for a while.
Tophill Low was relatively quiet yesterday, with only Garganey, Green Sandpiper, Ruff and Snipe of any real interest. Highlight for me was a Grass Snake basking on one of the compost heaps. Still waiting to see an otter there (reports in log book regular).

Braved the thunder storms and drove to North Cave Wetlands after work today. Spotted Redshank, Green and Common Sandpipers, Little Ringed Plover and a pair of Common Buzzards were the best birds. Still waiting to see a bloody Turtle Dove. I'm sure all the reports in the log book are written just to mock me!

Stopped off at Paull Holme Strays on way back, but spent more time talking to a local birder than actually birding. According to the bloke there used to be two hides looking over the reserve, but they were both destroyed by vandals. Could have done with a hide today to shelter me from the wind. Birds noted at Paull included Black-tailed Godwits, Ringed Plover, Curlew and Redshank.

Not a bad few days. Also got a great view of a sparrowhawk in my garden.

Great sightings esp the grass snake.

Soooo is it true what they say about essex girls?

jimmy2faces said:
Great sightings esp the grass snake.

Soooo is it true what they say about essex girls?

Only half true. Trying to turn her into both a birder and a Yorkshire lass- failing miserably at both.

It was the second Grass Snake i've seen at Tophill Low in as many visits. Only place I know they can be found within an hours drive of Bridlington.

Had a good day today. Set off at 6.30 toward spurn but my hopes weren't high due to the strong westerly that was blowing. At spurn for 8 and was virtually birdless for an hour with huddld waders at high tide being the highlight with Dunlin, Ringed Plover, Curlew by the boatload. A sprinkling of Gulls and Terns were nice as was a stonking female sparrowhawk that nearly took my head off. At the hide halfway up got my first Grey Plovers for Yorkshire, several in very nice summer plumage. As i got close to the car on the way back near midday i was scanning the black-headed gulls when i saw one with white wing tips facing away from me. Mediterranean Gull, adult in winter plumage. Another for my yorkshire list. Left for Filey not long after. Arrived at the Dams at 15:00. Not a great deal going on but 4 Whimbrel provided the first lifer of the day. Thats the first time ive past 150 for the year, well happy. Went to the Brigg with the intention of getting Roseate Tern. Got down to sea level and they all fly to the end, flaming tourists. Chat to a few birders who tell me they are mobile and elusive but there are several Arctic skuas in the vicinity. Like that dark phase 1 thats just put all the terns up!!! Lifer 2 for the day and 199 all said. Come on 200! I thought Roseate Tern would be a nice way to do it but it wasn't to be. Black Tern was! 2 in winter plumage at the end of the Brigg, totally different flight action to the Commons and Roseates (?) that were about. Then Whoosh!!! Light phase Arctic Skua scuds past after a Kittiwake with a bill full of sandeels. No distant view like the first one but nearly taking my nose off. I did get Roseate Tern thanks to a gentleman from Hull (im sorry i dont know your name!) who got me onto them through his scope. Managed to get my own when id picked up the difference in mantle colour. 1 cracking adult in winter plumage and 2 in summer plus 2 juvs. Great days and 2 milestones cracked.

Last edited:
Hotspur said:
Had a good day today. Set off at 6.30 toward spurn but my hopes weren't high due to the strong westerly that was blowing. At spurn for 8 and was virtually birdless for an hour with huddld waders at high tide being the highlight with Dunlin, Ringed Plover, Curlew by the boatload. A sprinkling of Gulls and Terns were nice as was a stonking female sparrowhawk that nearly took my head off. At the hide halfway up got my first Grey Plovers for Yorkshire, several in very nice summer plumage. As i got close to the car on the way back near midday i was scanning the black-headed gulls when i saw one with white wing tips facing away from me. Mediterranean Gull, adult in winter plumage. Another for my yorkshire list. Left for Filey not long after. Arrived at the Dams at 15:00. Not a great deal going on but 4 Whimbrel provided the first lifer of the day. Thats the first time ive past 150 for the year, well happy. Went to the Brigg with the intention of getting Roseate Tern. Got down to sea level and they all fly to the end, flaming tourists. Chat to a few birders who tell me they are mobile and elusive but there are several Arctic skuas in the vicinity. Like that dark phase 1 thats just put all the terns up!!! Lifer 2 for the day and 199 all said. Come on 200! I thought Roseate Tern would be a nice way to do it but it wasn't to be. [/B]Black Tern was! 2 in winter plumage at the end of the Brigg, totally different flight action to the Commons and Roseates (?) that were about. Then Whoosh!!! Light phase Arctic Skua scuds past after a Kittiwake with a bill full of sandeels. No distant view like the first one but nearly taking my nose off. I did get Roseate Tern thanks to a gentleman from Hull (im sorry i dont know your name!) who got me onto them through his scope. Managed to get my own when id picked up the difference in mantle colour. 1 cracking adult in winter plumage and 2 in summer plus 2 juvs. Great days and 2 milestones cracked.

Nice work cocker and a great report

Hotspur said:
Had a good day today. Set off at 6.30 toward spurn but my hopes weren't high due to the strong westerly that was blowing. At spurn for 8 and was virtually birdless for an hour with huddld waders at high tide being the highlight with Dunlin, Ringed Plover, Curlew by the boatload. A sprinkling of Gulls and Terns were nice as was a stonking female sparrowhawk that nearly took my head off. At the hide halfway up got my first Grey Plovers for Yorkshire, several in very nice summer plumage. As i got close to the car on the way back near midday i was scanning the black-headed gulls when i saw one with white wing tips facing away from me. Mediterranean Gull, adult in winter plumage. Another for my yorkshire list. Left for Filey not long after. Arrived at the Dams at 15:00. Not a great deal going on but 4 Whimbrel provided the first lifer of the day. Thats the first time ive past 150 for the year, well happy. Went to the Brigg with the intention of getting Roseate Tern. Got down to sea level and they all fly to the end, flaming tourists. Chat to a few birders who tell me they are mobile and elusive but there are several Arctic skuas in the vicinity. Like that dark phase 1 thats just put all the terns up!!! Lifer 2 for the day and 199 all said. Come on 200! I thought Roseate Tern would be a nice way to do it but it wasn't to be. Black Tern was! 2 in winter plumage at the end of the Brigg, totally different flight action to the Commons and Roseates (?) that were about. Then Whoosh!!! Light phase Arctic Skua scuds past after a Kittiwake with a bill full of sandeels. No distant view like the first one but nearly taking my nose off. I did get Roseate Tern thanks to a gentleman from Hull (im sorry i dont know your name!) who got me onto them through his scope. Managed to get my own when id picked up the difference in mantle colour. 1 cracking adult in winter plumage and 2 in summer plus 2 juvs. Great days and 2 milestones cracked.

Nice one. More than makes up for the bad luck you had with your car earlier in the month. I've spent a long time at the dams trying to turn Curlew into Wimbrel. Guess I'll see one some day. :-C
Also will have to get my sorry backside to the Brigg for the terns.

Car broke down again today but not until after i had corker on my local patch. 4 patch ticks 3 year ticks and 2 lifers. First went to bank island to do my usual counts and there was nothing there. No ducks. Only geese were 2 skeins of Greylag overhead. Some evidence of hirundine passage and a few other passerines but 3 Whinchat made it all worth while. Lifer. Saw 2 birds perched on top of a hedge with one calling over head (wouldn't claim to know the call but the perched birds replied and swiftly disappeared). Went round to Wheldrake Ings after lunch and there was big evidence of passage with hundreds of hirundines passing through. Had 2 Spotted Flycatchers within 200 yards of the gate, 1 adult, 1 juv. They were a patch tick and my first for 18 years. Warblers and tits were present in every tree and bush. Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers were all over. Went down to the scrape which held 5 Green Sandpipers which was a patch high count with a patch tick in the form of a pair of bobbing Common Sandpipers. Not a lot else on there apart from a few eclipse Mallard and Teal. Was hoping for a Wigeon or two. Got to the Swantail hide, Nothing there except the Greylag Geese that flew over Bank Island earlier. All 166 of them which was a good count. No Cormorants in view today. They must of gone to Castle Howard for the day. On the way back to the car got myself another view of a tit flock with associated warblers. Bang theres a Sedge Warbler. Nice one. A mile from the water. In trees, acting much like a phyllosc. Oh well. Lots of nice yellow tinged Willow warbler juvs skittering about with the browner Chiffer juvs when i see a large phyllosc. Bright Yellow. Not a lemon wash Willow but a lovely fresh Wood Warbler. Lifer and thus year and patch tick obviously. Back to the car and get back into york when bang my clutch cable goes. Never mind but a productive day nonetheless. I love passage.

WHYS THIS THREAD SO QUIET?

Well I've been all over the past week. I've been to North Cave, Tophill Low, Wheldrake, Fairburn twice, Blacktoft twice. Tomorrow I'm off to the coast, and then off to Filey on Sunday with Keith et al - weather looks good :t:

Seen quite a lot of good stuff, but all the stuff that's been reported so nothing new huh. Wood, Curlew, Green, Common and Pectoral Sandpiper. Greenshank, Spotshank, Barwit, Blackwit, Spotted Crake etc.

Picture attached is a pochard at Fairburn.

Attachments

• pochard.JPG
    pochard.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 167
Nice pic, not had a chance to go out birding due to work commitments before i become a 100% ornithologist on the 25th. Getting itchy feet. Need pec and wood sand still (the day the pec pitched up my fiance asked me if i wanted dropping at fairburn while she worked 1 mile down the road. I said no, there won't be anything at fairburn. Was delighted with that decision).

Hotspur said:
Nice pic, not had a chance to go out birding due to work commitments before i become a 100% ornithologist on the 25th. Getting itchy feet. Need pec and wood sand still (the day the pec pitched up my fiance asked me if i wanted dropping at fairburn while she worked 1 mile down the road. I said no, there won't be anything at fairburn. Was delighted with that decision).

Plenty of woodies around too - couple of pics I've had

Attachments

• wo.JPG
    wo.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 195
  • wsandp1.JPG
    wsandp1.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 159
  • wsandp2.JPG
    wsandp2.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 166
jimmy2faces said:
WHYS THIS THREAD SO QUIET?

I'm sulking because I spent most of last Sunday waiting to see the bloody Spotted Crake at Blacktoft. Needless to say the little bugger didn't show before I had to leave for for a birthday party back in Brid. Last time I waste a whole day for one potential tick! :C

On a brighter note I'm off to Essex tomorrow to see the girlfriend. Plan to have a little drive up to Lakenheath to see if there are any Stone Curlews, Wood Lark or Muntjac Deer about. Problem is the girlfriend doesn't know this yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back