• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

local patch!! (1 Viewer)

sparrowbirder

you hear about birders faithfully working their local patches,sometimes flogging their guts out for little reward!!
in 20 years of birding,ive only ever found two decent birds on my local patch ( although I have seen many more decent ones found by somebody else) , although one was a mega and the other was my dream bird at the time! what are the best birds found on peoples local patches,dont need to be national rarities,even local ones can give a buzz of excitement!!!

My old patch was in Lancashire UK. I watched it fairly intensively in the early-mid eighties as a teenager when the best birds were a flock of Black Tern, a small flock of Little Gull, a stormblown Gannet, Black Redstart, lots of common waders including a flock of 17 Little Stint-nothing esp rare but all nice for a local patch. I've returned on and off over the years and in 1995 I saw a Ferruginous Duck, Little Tern, in 1999 a Quail ( heard only ) and the first Little Egret ( it's probably swarming with them now).........I was back last year for the summer but didn't see anything exciting.

The sheep on the saltmarsh were so dirty I wouldn't want to pretend to be one or to go anywhere near them and cows are a bit scary for a suburban child like me. On the opposite bank of the river a motorcycling/scrambling course seems to get bigger ( and noisier ) every year. If the UK gun laws were as generous as the US I`d have livened up a dull day by picking them off slowly with a high powered rifle

Last edited:
remember finding a brambling once,it was something like the second reserve record at the time (before the delights of early morning diurnals were discovered ) shows how relative birding is!!

Anything that is new to the local patch is usually pretty exciting, I recently added Whinchat and Wheatear to mine, not reares but good ticks in the context.

hi sparrowbirder
just watching hunting 0wls like this sunday morning o_630am
barn owl, hedgerows. 7_30am shorteard owl hunting over
marshes, what a sight and both local.
bert

Nerina trogon and little sparrowhawk. Both of them tend to be found in dense woodland and forest, although in winter, the Nerina trogon is sometimes found in wooded garden areas. Living in a city as I do, these were both really exciting finds for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back