• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikin D7100 and price fixing (1 Viewer)

Egret

As I try to decide where I am going with bird photography I have been looking at the D7100. What has really struck me is the consistency of the pricing. Apart from companies like "SLRHUT" there seems to be no competition, on price, at all. In fact the price, online, is usually the same as it is in the high street. This seems a bit suspicious to me but I find it difficult to believe that so many, disparate - sometimes desperate - firms could agree on anything! At least, it means that should I ever make my mind up I can support a bricks and mortar retailer.

From reading the forums and reviews I have also found that the D7100 is perfect/rubbish for bird photography and that I should actually use new/secondhand D800/d300/D70/bridge/Canon/Nikon/Sony with this lens/that lens with/without a convertor. Conversely I could just use a box brownie and fieldcraft instead of all this expensive artillery. Such simple solutions!

Last edited:
I've tried all of them with perfect/rubbish results !
Hdew are doing a good deal on d7100 at moment are I've found them very reliable .

I think recently the manufacturers have cracked down on discount pricing by distributors. This started a few years ago with Sony implementing it's SURE pricing program (darn you Sony), and the others quickly followed suit.

The D7100 would work great for wildlife, I'm not sure why people told you otherwise. The 24 mp would give you lots of extra room to crop. I seriously hope whoever recommended the d70 over the d7100 was kidding. Sure there are better options, but they come at a price.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back