• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD (1 Viewer)

Another one to succumb ! First time out with no tuning or anything just to see whats what. While not brilliant there's enough to work with - long tailed tit was heavy crop .

Attachments

• 014_2010a.jpg
    014_2010a.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 014_2048a.jpg
    014_2048a.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 93
Tamron with 7dii or...

So the 7dii auto focuses at f8.

So now the question is Tamron which has a zoom and vibration control or the 400 5.6 + 1.4xiii?

Of course, assuming that you own or are going to own the 7dii.

So the 7dii auto focuses at f8.

So now the question is Tamron which has a zoom and vibration control or the 400 5.6 + 1.4xiii?

Of course, assuming that you own or are going to own the 7dii.

If you have steady hands ,and if the 7dmkii will a/f using more than just the centre point you will probably get better I/q from the canon set up I already have that rig and it's extremely good and having tried the tamron would only have got one for the extra reach on my 60d .

However in the light of recent announcements I am hanging on for the new sigma 150-600 as that will also take there new 1.4tc and still retain f.8 a/f ,I get the feeling that sigma and canon might have colluded on this as well

These Little Grebe can be tricky little buggers - just when you lock on they dive lol. Anyway managed to nail a few today. Both at the full 600mm (the soft end ;)) and fare crops as I am very much reach limited with the FF Cam. This lens could be very handy on the 7D2!!!

Attachments

• lg01.jpg
    lg01.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 105
  • lg02.jpg
    lg02.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 111
you will probably get better I/q from the canon set up I already have that rig and it's extremely good and having tried the tamron would only have got one for the extra reach on my 60d .
Not so sure on that one Jeff, I have both lenses as you know and often shoot the 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc and IMHO the Tammy is better IQ and faster focusing (as it should be f6.3 v f8).

I think your sandpiper shot is really good. I also feel it illustrates very well just how narrow a DOF you have there, compare the feathers on the top with those in the middle of the wing.

Niels

Sandpiper shot

I think your sandpiper shot is really good. I also feel it illustrates very well just how narrow a DOF you have there, compare the feathers on the top with those in the middle of the wing.

Niels

I was fairly close. Took the shot at f9 to try and get as much of it in focus as possible. Shutter speed was 1/320th so I'm happy with the detail at such a low shutter speed. Certainly helped that the bird was standing still or I could have never gotten the shot. Couldn't really go higher on the ISO or I would have blown out the whites. Always a struggle for me on white birds...

Sandpiper shot

I really like both of those shots but the Sandpiper is superb - cute little bird too!

Thank you for the kind words. I am happy I got the opportunity to get a nice shot of this bird. Got some killer shots a few years back with my 20d and the 400 5.6 that get corrupted and I lost them. At least now I have some new ones for my library.:t:

Here is another of the roosting shorebirds from the same time. Slightly better light. It is a juvenile Semi-palmated Sandpiper that is being photobombed by the same Semi-palmated Plover that I posted the pic of earlier.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553232@N02/15292397396/

Isaac - you are getting some fantastic shots with your 70D + Tammy. Same set up as I have got.

How much cropping are you doing? What distance are you from these waders you are shooting? Are you in a hide? What post-processing are you doing?

Shooting at 600mm, f8, ISO not that high - I guess you have very good light - probably much better than in cloudy UK!

Presumably you are very happy with your Tammy and 70D - any thoughts about the new Sigma Sports 150-600 and the 7D2 ?

cheers,
Nick

A sampling of my best gull shots if anyone has any interested in the Nikon D7100 and Tamron 150-600mm combo in a newbie's hands.

All handheld with vibration control off. Processed in Lightroom 5.6.

Harsh criticism very welcome!!!

Great Black Backed 1
ISO 500
Focal Length 250 mm (35 mm equivalent: 500 mm)
Aperture f/8.0
Shutter: 1/1600s

Great Black Backed 2
ISO 1250
Focal Length 360 mm (35 mm equivalent: 720 mm)
Aperture f/8.0
Shutter: 1/1250s

Flying Juvenile
ISO 720
Focal Length 450 mm (35 mm equivalent: 900 mm)
Aperture f/8.0
Shutter: 1/1250s

Stationary Juvenile
ISO 250
Focal Length 300 mm (35 mm equivalent: 600 mm)
Aperture f/8.0
Shutter: 1/500s

Attachments

• agbbg1200.jpg
    agbbg1200.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 72
  • aggb2-1200.jpg
    aggb2-1200.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 60
  • ajg-1200.jpg
    ajg-1200.jpg
    610.9 KB · Views: 78
  • ajg2-1200.jpg
    ajg2-1200.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 69
And a few other common birds - All handheld with vibration control on. Processed in Lightroom 5.6.

Duck at 16 metres
ISO 160
Focal Length 600 mm (35 mm equivalent: 1200 mm)
Aperture f/6.3
Shutter: 1/125s

Sparrow at less than 10 m
ISO 160
Focal Length 500 mm (35 mm equivalent: 1000 mm)
Aperture f/6.3

Sparrow at less than 10 m
ISO 160
Focal Length 500 mm (35 mm equivalent: 1000 mm)
Aperture f/6.3

Oyster Catcher at 60 m

ISO 560
Focal Length 600 mm (35 mm equivalent: 1200 mm)
Aperture f/8.0

The distances for the duck and oyster catcher are the focal distances from the EXIF data.

Attachments

• aduck1200.jpg
    aduck1200.jpg
    804.5 KB · Views: 70
  • asparrow1200.jpg
    asparrow1200.jpg
    479.6 KB · Views: 63
  • asparrow-1-1200.jpg
    asparrow-1-1200.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 56
  • oc750.jpg
    oc750.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Tamron plus 70D

Isaac - you are getting some fantastic shots with your 70D + Tammy. Same set up as I have got.

How much cropping are you doing? What distance are you from these waders you are shooting? Are you in a hide? What post-processing are you doing?

Shooting at 600mm, f8, ISO not that high - I guess you have very good light - probably much better than in cloudy UK!

Presumably you are very happy with your Tammy and 70D - any thoughts about the new Sigma Sports 150-600 and the 7D2 ?

cheers,
Nick

Thanks again for the kind words. I have been lucky to get very close to many of the waders lately. Most of them are young birds and therefore much more tame. No hide, although I have thought of getting one. I just sit still and inch in slowly. I should add that I am a lifelong birder who just recently started taking pics of the birds that I see while birding. Not sure how it is in the UK but here the waders allow close approach when you stay still. I am also lucky to have some amazing spots to go birding very close to my home. Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge is a photographers dream for waders. As are many of the beaches. I go at high tide when the birds have nowhere else to go and therefore are more tolerant of close approach. For the Baird's and semi sand and plover I was lying on my belly to get at eye level.

I was maybe 15 feet from the Semi-palmated Sandpiper and Baird's. Maybe 20 feet from the Semi-palmated Plover. Those images are about 60-65% of original. Think I have that right. The shot should be 20MP and the Bairds was 13 and change. So it is not too big of a crop. Light was great. Clear skies on most of the shots lately. I think it is the major factor to good shots with this lens. Get as close as possible with clear skies (probably preaching to the choir on this one ;)) In my experience, even with 600mm if I am not very close to the birds, then the pics will not come great as the shots with big crops are just not as good and do not show the same detail as when I am close.

Post processing is only with Canon Digital Photo Professional.

I love this combo as I think it has produced great results. That being said, I already have my eye on exactly what you mentioned. I pre-ordered the 7dii but will wait to see more samply pics before deciding to keep it. Same goes for the sigma sport 150-600. It would have to be much better for me to lug around the extra 2 pounds and the extra length. If the combo proves to be significantly better than I will gladly upgrade. Otherwise I will just stick with what I have and decide what to spend my money on. Maybe some 12 x 50 swarovskis? Maybe a 6d and sigma art 50mm to take pics of the kids with :t:.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back