• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steiner Discovery 8x44 XP (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
I notice that Infocus are offering these at a really good price of 599 pounds sterling. Just thought I´d mention it because the issue of price-variation in this model came up someplace recently. (I´ve no connection with IF other than as a satisfied customer....and I´ve never seen a pair of Steiner Discoveries).

Hmm, I wonder if this is something unique to just this shop or if we might see a price decrease on our end as well. Ever since SteveC's comments about this model I have been meaning to take a look at one. If it is as good as he says it is, which I think it will be, then a price decrease might make it more attractive to my limited budget.

I notice that Infocus are offering these at a really good price of 599 pounds sterling. Just thought I´d mention it because the issue of price-variation in this model came up someplace recently. (I´ve no connection with IF other than as a satisfied customer....and I´ve never seen a pair of Steiner Discoveries).
I think if was I who mentioned it in post No. 34 in this thread:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=128206&highlight=steiner&page=2
The price I quoted for Infocus was £899, so £599 is a heck of a reduction if that was correct. They should be a very good buy at that price.

Ron

I was just browing Infocus having spoken to them on the phone and was going to send a post about the £300 price reduction on the Steiners. But hey ho you already know about it. I am seriously considering getting these? Has anyone done so aleady? Are these good bins?

Just spoken to the Infocus man, he can't sell these Steiners at all, basically because of what they look like! No-one likes them.

I tried these Steiners at In Focus at the Birdfair and found them virtually unuseable for a spectacle wearer. After about five minutes I eventually managed to focus on a target but the image was surprisingly poor for a binocular costing (then) nearly £800. I can only assume there was something wrong with this particular unit. I have recently bought the Pentax 8x32 DCF ED and find them easy to use, offering a bright, sharp image with plenty of detail even in poor light.
Regards
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back