• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christensen Optics (1 Viewer)

Steve C

I've been hearing a bit about these guys. The web site is not much account, but here is the link; http://www.bigcountrydistributors.com/home.

What drew my interest is that in doing a google search, It appears that the OEM looks to be another Chinese outfit called Chongqing Dontop. These guys have a dead ringer for the open bridge type ED glass that we've reviewed here. But detail at the Chongqing site just is not there. There are several different websites for Chongqing Optics.

http://dontop.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008825321303/Homepage.htm

The Christensen binoculars have a resemblance to the open bridge, but with the typical hinge style. Price is about the same.

Last edited:
I would say that the open bridge binocular does bare a moderate resemblance to what we have been reviewing. However, the hinges don't look to be of the exact same mold. This looks more like the Bushnell Elite if I remember correctly.

...though the scope looks alot like the Zen Ray Sedona from what I remember.

I would say that the open bridge binocular does bare a moderate resemblance to what we have been reviewing. However, the hinges don't look to be of the exact same mold. This looks more like the Bushnell Elite if I remember correctly.

That's what I thought.

I think it's similar not identical as the proportionas look a bit different (the Elite is or at least was Made in Japan).

Are there two open-bridge enclosures in China? ;)

I'd posted about the Barska before (and forgotten about them ... I wonder why).

Still it's a new chinese enclosure style. Maybe we'll see more bins using this enclosure.

I wonder if the open-bridge design helps to negate some of the increased heft that this binocular design might require from the more conventional hinge style. I always considered it an ergonomic issue but am now wondering if it is more functional in other aspects as well.

CK 8x42 and 10x42 This is our flagship binocular! The crisp and clear image quality is second to none. This binocular has BAK4, fully multi coated lenses (FMC) for High Definition viewing. It is fog proof (Nitrogen Purged), waterproof and a 6.5 degree and 342/1000yd field of view. Its light weight, compact with rubber coated locking twist up eye pieces. We have tested this binocular against the most expensive binoculars on the market and are willing to claim; “They are just as good”!

I like it when they make those claims because it makes me want to try it to see for myself. When are these going to be available?

The CK looks interesting, I assume that is the one you are thinking about. It would be real informative to see how they compare to the Promaster and ZEN.

Steve,

Yes, it was the high-end one that I was considering. I am going to wait until next week before going through with any ordering. I am a bit short of funds at the moment with the recent acquisition of that Vortex scope...plus I haven't moved the Minox porros or the Nikon scope yet.

I'd like a binocular with the same image quality as the ZEN ED but with a faster close in focus. It seems it would make a pretty decent complement to the ZEN. Maybe that Christensen would do it.

The only thing is that I did notice the field of view is noticeably narrower. That is one thing the Zen ED really has going for it...wide, mostly undistorted field of view. Still, 380-some feet is nothing to scoff at either. I think one of those no-good Leicas is comparable in that regard.

;)

These guys were at a hunting and outdoor expo in Salt Lake City, Utah. I looked through the CK's and they had a pair of nikon Monarch's and Cabela's Euro's to compare to and their optics where much easier on the eyes, more clear and much better in low light. As I walked around to the other optics companies in the show and looked through their bino's but found myself back at the Christensen booth and I think their optic's are just as good in clarity and quality as anything I have ever seen. They were dead set on providing a quality optic without the huge mark ups like the other guys. I didn't get a chance to buy anything but I will be getting some soon. I heard asome other there asking where they get the glass and they said the basic models come from China and their high end stuff comes from Japan. Let us know what you think if you buy some, this may be a great optic for those of us short on funds. I met the salesman in the Teton Territory which is where I am from, You should call or email him and see what he can do on a price.

I have an as yet unanswered e-mail sent to the corporate office address. Maybe someday. These seem intriguing and I'd like to get my hands on a pair.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back