• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hybrid duck Netta Rufina x Aytha fuligula ? (2 Viewers)

Hi Michael,

Do you? I have never seen this hybrid before myself (only read descriptions) therefore I am not totally sure .

Jörn

I met an ornithologist of this area yesterday and showed him the photo.

He told me that it is a very rare male hybrid Mallard x Red-crested Pochard.

Hi Tcom, it is definitely not;
look into the other thread "Unknown duck" you have started- that bird very likely is such a hybrid (in fact it is in my opinion); and I have added photographs of 2
Mallard-Redcrested Pochard Hybrids I found in the net, one from Spain, one from England. They are very different from your photograph posted in this thread.

If you do a google search on Netta peposaca; you will see zthat your bird is intermediate between that species and rufina.

Jörn

I have just come across this thread by accident don't know how long ago it was posted but no one come up with Rosy billed Pochard X ?

Attachments

• Rosy Billed Pochard (M) .JPG
    Rosy Billed Pochard (M) .JPG
    353.4 KB · Views: 260
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back