• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sign of Spring? (1 Viewer)

simondix

Yesterday I was sitting in the car park at Morrison's in Malvern when I had one of those simple experiences that was almost surreal.

I was sitting in a snow shower watching Bumble Bees on a bush. There were quite a few of them as well.

Spring must be coming here too..... temps are fluctuating 20° by early afternoon almost daily now.

-22C this morning.... -4C at 1:00 pm.

Here in the San Francisco Bay Area signs of spring are more subtle, as our winters are not that cold and our summers are not that warm :). However, the signs of spring I have noticed in the last couple of days are first that the American goldfinch males are beginning to turn gorgeously golden, and second, that I heard my first singing Orange-crowned warbler in the hills behind Berkeley, where I live.
Doug

Indiana Signs of Spring

In the last two weeks I've seen male Red-Winged Blackbirds, Robins and a pair of Eastern Bluebirds.

Very pleased about Springs arrival!

jneville

Have seen both Magpies and Jackdaws nest building,flying around with twigs in their beaks,(inc our 2 residents in our chimney pot) and have seen 2 Collared Doves sitting on their nests .

Several Curlews and Lapwings displaying on higher fells above Haltwhistle (south of) this afternoon was nice and for the former a week early.

Stewart

:bounce:

Some-one told me yesterday whilst shopping they had heard a Cuckoo and when I asked could it have been a Collared Dove or something they said no it was definitely a Cuckoo first they had heard in the area for years.

Ann Chaplin

Well, over hear the leaves are starting to turn brown, orange, yellow and gold; the days and nights are getting colder... Amazing how you guys are "celebrating" spring and we are going into autumn. The world is a wonderful place.

Simon, I also live near a suburb called Malvern.. however there are no snow showers over here! ;) I have never even seen snow!

Taryn o:)

Oh I got photos of the blooming Almond trees.Spring is has come for good.Maybe I'll send ya some photos.(If I manage to find a scanner...)

Taryn said:
Well, over hear the leaves are starting to turn brown, orange, yellow and gold; the days and nights are getting colder... Amazing how you guys are "celebrating" spring and we are going into autumn. The world is a wonderful place.

Simon, I also live near a suburb called Malvern.. however there are no snow showers over here! ;) I have never even seen snow!

Taryn o:)
I think snow, as you get older is one of those things you appreciate if you are not trying to earn a living in it(winter sports an exception) or are safe and warm inside. However not seeing it must also be from our viewpoint 'up ere' quite strange.

For all the others I saw my first celandine in Winchcombe, Gloucestershire on Thursday and heard a Blackcap singing in my road at Redditch yesterday. The latter probably a winter visitor.

Spring is here! (famous last words)
The flowers are out here in Northumberland, Crocus Snowdrop,Daffodil, even seen some Daisys and today I saw my firstToads, 8 of them. Also the local birds are back holding territorys and I have seen some with nesting material. Bring on the first migrants .. :bounce:

Last edited:
Within the last few days all the frogs have returned to our pond for their annual mating session, on a quiet night the croaking is amazing. Snowdrops are fading now, daffodils, crocuses are in full bloom. I've been stuck in the house with a bug for the last week, so am desperate to get out and see the other signs of sping mentioned in other replies.
John

Spring certainly appears to be on its way:
Much nest building activity
Ever increasing numbers of migrants
Warm dayscomming into bloom
Bulbs

And it'll soon be easter - so its sure to snow!!

Spring is exploding over here and everything is starting to look golden: daffodils and primroses on the hedges, celandines shining and as for the gorse - divine! My favourite time of year.

Nerine

psst *whispers* LSB...that's a toad!!! ;)

Have you seen any wheatears yet at St Mary's? When I used to live in Whitley Bay I could virtually guarantee seeing my first male wheatears at Brown's Bay and along Whitley Bay sea front....usually about 16th/17th March.

Had three male Pied Wagtails displaying around our cottage this afternoon...singing and chasing each other around us. They're the first we've had this year....had a few breeding pairs around the farm next door last summer when we first came up here but they disappeared once we got into autumn. Great to see them back :bounce:

Also got a LOT more birds singing now and male Lapwings on loads of fields around here displaying and calling - wonderful sound!

Also had my first butterfly of the year today, a Peacock, as it sheltered on a sunny wall out of the wind.

The forecast is for warm weather over the next few days so hopefully I'll see some bumble-bees soon.

Spring is on it's way!!!! o:)

GILL

Gill Osborne said:
Have you seen any wheatears yet

Wheatears just been spotted here in Guernsey - haven't seen one yet, going to have a look tomorrow. Not seen a butterfly yet, plenty of bumblebees and ladybirds.

Nerine

Great! My wheatears shouldn't be long getting up here then. My birthday's on March 18th and I've ALWAYS had my first wheatears a day or two beforehand...only way I can remember LOL
The Peacock butterfly I saw today was a really tatty specimen and was on a sunny sheltered wall out of the wind, opening and closing it's wings slowly...was quite tempted to give it some sugar solution to drink to give it a chance as there aren't many nectar-rich flowers out yet up here!
Haven't had any bumble-bees or ladybirds yet....shouldn't be long though! Would have looked up last year's dates but I can't find my diary!!!

GILL

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back