• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Birds You Haven't Seen Yet This Year (1 Viewer)

Nightjar61

David Daniels
United States
Every year it seems that there are common birds that should be almost automatic, yet I just can't seem to find them. In addition, it seems as if everyone I know has seen them.

This year my nemesis birds are Red-headed Woodpecker and Brown Creeper. This is despite the fact I've spent hours in the right habitat, or in areas where I've found them in past years. In fact, I think I've added them to past year lists during the first week of the year.

Last year my problem bird was Barred Owl. They are normally easy to find, and I heard many, some in close range (I don't count "heard only" birds), but I didn't see one at all last year. Come to think of it, I haven't found one yet this year either!

So what common birds haven't you been able to find yet?

Dave

Well, I haven't seen the usually easy to get Northern Pygmy-Owl a short distance from our house (1/2 mile). Usually they're calling and easy to find at this time of year. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them just now... ;)

David FG said:
I still have to find Woodlark (yes, I know!)

Ditto.

My woodland bird list isn't too hot for this year. I've managed Green and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker but still haven't got a Great Spotted. Treecreeper was no problem but Nuthatches hide when they see me coming...

The biggest bogie bird this year has to be Siskin though - I've checked Alders everywhere and not one...

Richard

Nightjar61 said:
Every year it seems that there are common birds that should be almost automatic, yet I just can't seem to find them. In addition, it seems as if everyone I know has seen them.

This year my nemesis birds are Red-headed Woodpecker and Brown Creeper. This is despite the fact I've spent hours in the right habitat, or in areas where I've found them in past years. In fact, I think I've added them to past year lists during the first week of the year.

Last year my problem bird was Barred Owl. They are normally easy to find, and I heard many, some in close range (I don't count "heard only" birds), but I didn't see one at all last year. Come to think of it, I haven't found one yet this year either!

So what common birds haven't you been able to find yet?

Dave

Finally got the Red-headed Woodpecker on March 20. Still haven't found the Brown Creeper, but it's only a matter of time (I hope). I've heard that Red-headed Woodpeckers are scarce this year because the mast crop failed this winter, and oaks and other nut-bearing trees haven't produced any nuts for the woodpeckers to eat. Deer and squirrels have had a bad winter also.

Dave

Eerrrr WHERE would you like me to start LOL
FAR too many...it's becoming embarassing!!!

Blackcap, brambling, corn bunting, snow bunting, dipper, stock dove, ruddy duck, fulmar, gannet, great crested grebe, little grebe, red grouse, LBBG, jay, kingfisher, kittiwake, skylark, long-eared owl, barn owl, tawny owl, pintail, meadow pipit, grey plover, ringed plover, puffin, purple sandpiper, scaup, siskin, smew, tree sparrow & waxwing. |:$|

:-C

GILL

Gill Osborne said:
Eerrrr WHERE would you like me to start LOL
FAR too many...it's becoming embarassing!!!

Blackcap, brambling, corn bunting, snow bunting, dipper, stock dove, ruddy duck, fulmar, gannet, great crested grebe, little grebe, red grouse, LBBG, jay, kingfisher, kittiwake, skylark, long-eared owl, barn owl, tawny owl, pintail, meadow pipit, grey plover, ringed plover, puffin, purple sandpiper, scaup, siskin, smew, tree sparrow & waxwing. |:$|

:-C

GILL

I wouldn't call some of those common!

I think my most maddening one is Great Crested Grebe - every year I watch at least two pairs nesting, see their chicks, and watch the birds through winter. But this year they seem to be hiding from me, wherever I go that I usually see them, they're not there! I just keep getting loads of Little Grebes.

Well so far I have missed out on Lesser spotted Woodpecker, Woodlark, Tawny & Long eared Owl, Gannet, Kittiwake, Little Gull, Common and Green Sandpiper, Bittern and Jack Snipe, and that's from memory as I am at work. No doubt when I get home i will remember some more that I should have seen by now.

LOL David FG ;)
Apart from the corn Bunting which takes a bit of finding (and a bit of good luck!) the rest are all bog-standard easy birds for Northumberland. ;)
I know I'll catch up with them in the coming weeks so I'm not TOO bothered...it's just rather embarrassing when you actually realise what you haven't seen!
Took me until about three days ago just to catch up with goldfinch...WHERE were they hiding!!!...and now they are on my feeders ALL the time!

GILL

Well, the song sparrow we usually have, has been missing most of the winter. So is my red-bellied woodpecker. And other native sparrows, like chipping, white-throated, American tree, fox sparrow. These should be under my feeder or at the thistle on a regular basis. The cardinals have also been very quiet this year. A very quiet winter, overall, and spring has not been much better, except the red-wings are finally here, and the dratted grackles, too!

I haven't seen a Chiffchaff yet this year either, though I KNOW there's one nearby. (A friend has heard it every day for the past few days). Though I have to say, I haven't managed to get to as many of my usual birding spots recently. I'm hoping when I visit the mountain railway walk this week (which I used to do weekly but haven't been there for ages!) I might spot some of the Wheatears which breed there every year.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back