• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Birds You Haven't Seen Yet This Year (1 Viewer)

The one thats driving me mad at the moment!! and i will find one this year Green Woodpecker, its really bugging me!

Er, just noticed this thread! Started one almost identical an hour or so ago!

Sorry, pays to read!!

In terms of birds I usually miss, long eared owl ans woodcock most years and pied flycatcher in some!

Gosh I have birds reader doesn't!!!! Then again his list would no doubt provide me with plenty of lifers!!

So what am I missing no Red Kite, Buzzard, Hen Harrier, Merlin, Peregrine, Common Sandpiper (DON'T ANYONE MENTION PUPRLE!!!), Rock Pipit or Linnet (oh gawd how have I missed it) and lets not talkabout SEO, LEO or Tawny or.......

Eagle owes me some raptors Saturday to make up for the Water Rail and Hawfinch I provided last time!!

still I had all 3 peckers in one day.

pduxon said:
Gosh I have birds reader doesn't!!!! Then again his list would no doubt provide me with plenty of lifers!!

And I ain't swapping any either, lol

pduxon said:
So what am I missing no Red Kite, Buzzard, Hen Harrier, Merlin, Peregrine, Common Sandpiper (DON'T ANYONE MENTION PUPRLE!!!), Rock Pipit or Linnet (oh gawd how have I missed it) and lets not talkabout SEO, LEO or Tawny or.......

Can't believe you haven't seen Buzzard, but then again I wonder how close to the midlands you get. Purple Sandpiper (there I have mentioned it). I would have thought you would have gone to Ness Point, Lowestoft for them. They are dead easy there. Linnet - come on Pete. You must have seen Linnet without realising it. Rock Pipit, I forgot that one. I haven't seen that or Water Pipit yet.

pduxon said:

Grrr. Can't get near the Lesserpecker. I did hear one at the Lesser Scaup site in Warwickshire but do you think I could find it - no chance.

Andrew said:
Never even seen a Tawny except in a captive park, shameful!
Told you where to go for that!! Ruby managed to see the Tawney on cue...just come to West London ....when thats on the cards I'll tell you where!!! wink
(smillies not working at work, neither am I just baby sitting this lesson two other staff in here( as well!!))

David FG said:
I'll swap you both for a Lesser Spotted.

Try the 'Wildlife Trail' or whatever they call it near the car park at Stodmarsh - that's where I scored mine. They've even got benches for you to sit and wait on ;)

Richard

pduxon said:
Eagle owes me some raptors Saturday to make up for the Water Rail and Hawfinch I provided last time!!
Pete -
Red Kite ( well you only have to drive up the M40 junctions 5 and 6!!!)
I will do my best with the other raptors on Sat...no guarentees, we know what happened to the Great Grey Shrike now dont we!! winking!!)
Linnet not seen yet this year, nor SEOwl or Barney tho I have tried for the Owls! We may see Rock Pipit as I saw one there in November!

Also seen all 3 peckers!!

Gill Osborne said:
Eerrrr WHERE would you like me to start LOL
FAR too many...it's becoming embarassing!!!

Blackcap, brambling, corn bunting, snow bunting, dipper, stock dove, ruddy duck, fulmar, gannet, great crested grebe, little grebe, red grouse, LBBG, jay, kingfisher, kittiwake, skylark, long-eared owl, barn owl, tawny owl, pintail, meadow pipit, grey plover, ringed plover, puffin, purple sandpiper, scaup, siskin, smew, tree sparrow & waxwing. |:$|

:-C

GILL

6 lifers in there for me Gill, keep it real lol.

I'll go for Fieldfare Siskin & Little grebe
Steve

Last edited:
Let me think (can anyone smell burning?)
Puffin
Black Grouse
Long Eared Owl + others and all the spring migrants (except Chiffchaff).
... :eek!:

Many one thats been avoiding me the most so far is siskin there nowwhere but got 2weeks off for the school holidays so plenty of birding opurtuntey there and 9 lifers there gill

timmyjones said:
Many one thats been avoiding me the most so far is siskin there nowwhere but got 2weeks off for the school holidays so plenty of birding opurtuntey there and 9 lifers there gill

Wyre forest is the place for you Timmy, although they are not as common as usual, they are around. try the Buttonoak area and check out the conifer plantations.

My dippy bird this year has been Yellowhammer, last year I was seeing loads of them, but I did manage one last saturday.

Jackie

Swift said:
Tawny Owl ,where have they all gone?

That's what I want to know. All the sites I knew have all disappeared. The last one I saw was a lucky one that flew in my headlights just outside of Aylsham, Norfolk on 17/04/2004. The one before that was another lucky one that was flying along the motorway edge of the M5 near to junction 25. That was Feb 2003. This bird is definitely a bogie bird for me, as is Long eared Owl.

Does anyone know any reliable sites for either, or both, of those Owls in the Midlands?

Swift said:

Run down by cars (that would never happen with cyclists ;)).

Tawny Owl was my #3 this year, on my local patch before dawn 1/1/05 - they're still up here OK

The worst ones for me are Barred Antshrike and Laughing Falcon. While these birds are not necessarily common around here, I would have expected to see them by now. I did hear a Laughing Falcon calling yesterday but I never did get to see it.

pduxon said:

So what am I missing no Buzzard, ....Common Sandpiper, Rock Pipit or Linnet.....
So sorry Pete.

Could have got you all of those on Saturday. 2 of our party saw the Buzzard .Unfortunately, you weren't one of them.

Regarding the other 3, I seem to remember rumbling stomachs/dry lips intervening. Not to mention me not being able to find a site!

Still missing Peregrine and Woodcock here. Should have seen both locally by now. They're driving me nuts.

Of recently arrived migrants, Little Ringed Plover are proving frustratingly elusive.

ATB

Swift said:

I've got two, possibly three hooting away around our cottage and the farm most nights now....but the little b*****s ain't showing!!! So they are STILL not on my Year List!!! :C

GILL

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back