• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Evolution- or why go birding. (1 Viewer)

michaelboustead

The Dover School Board accepted for its Library about 20 Copies of "Pandas and People", a book I confess I have not read. A Florida group has offered a few other books. I quote in part from an Editorial in the local newspaper:

" The Dover Board should gracefully accept donation of 23 books to its library by a Florida group called Debunk Creation.

The books by preeminent scientists such as Stephen Hawkins, Carl Sagan and Richard Dawkins, have been received by the district, but officials say they need to decide whether they are appropiate for the school library. Superintendent Richard Nielsen said the books have to be reviewed to make sure they are scientifically accurate.

And who pray tell, in the Dover School District is academically equipped to check the accuracy of physics genius Stephen Hawkings?"

When life seems too bizarre, I go birding.

Mike

Mickymouse said:
If the school doesn't want them I'll have 'em.

Mick

I did an internet search and was unable to find out the titles of the Books. Actually, a list of the books would probably be more interesting than my original thread.

Mike

Well, this is pretty much beyond the scope of school at grades 1-8. But if they want to harrass creationists..

I would just give the books without any agenda or goal. The kids can sort it out on their own by college age.

Found List of the Books:

Here’s the list of donated books:
• Universe in a Nutshell, by Stephen Hawking
• The Demon-Haunted World, by Carl Sagan
• Pale Blue Dot, by Carl Sagan
• Flim-Flam!, by James Randi
• The Selfish Gene, by Richard Dawkins
• The Blind Watchmaker, by Richard Dawkins
• Thread of Life; The Smithsonian Looks at Evolution, by Roger Lewin
• What Evolution Is, by Ernst Mayr
• This is Biology; The Science of the Living World, by Ernst Mayr
• The Ancestor’s Tale, by Richard Dawkins
• Climbing Mt Improbable, by Richard Dawkins
• The Panda’s Thumb, by Stephen Jay Gould
• The Pattern of Evolution, by Niles Eldredge
• Black Holes and Time Warps; Einstein’s Outrageous Legacy, by Kip Thorne
• Intelligent Design Creationism and its Critics, by Robert Pennock
• Tower of Babel; The Evidence Against the New Creationism, by Robert Pennock
• Evolution; The Triumph of an Idea, by Carl Zimmer
• Finding Darwin’s God, by Kenneth R Miller
• Galileo’s Finger, by Peter Atkins
• Genome, by Matt Ridley
• Evolution, by Mark Ridley
• Wandering Lands and Animals; The Story of Continental Drift and Animal Populations, by Edwin H Colbert
• The Antiquity of Man, by Michael Brass

I have read the works by Hawking and Sagan. I have not read the other authors with the exception of Stephen Jay Gould.

Gould is the most brilliant author I have ever read. He is amazing. How can anyone know so much.

I think that anyone trying to learn and understand US citizens of my generation could do worse than read Triumph and Tradgedy in Mudville- way off subject of this thread.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back