• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uist Garden Birds (1 Viewer)

Neararctic nonsense

A pile of American waders have arrived in the Hebrides of late. Attached is the highlight the 1st Scottish record of semipalmated plover - tried to work up from sketches in coloured pencil but I'm a bit rusty - so not quite happy with it.

cheers, Andrew

Attachments

• semip_1.jpg
    semip_1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 97
Love it. Great piece of work - as was the find. I've looked at dozens of s-p plover and ringed plover photos and to my very untutored eye they look a complete b*gger to pick. Also read a few id pointers - nope, that don't help me any neither . . . .

Tim, can't take the credit for the find that was all John Kemp's hard work...helps if you hear a ringed plover go Tu-WIT bit like a spotted redshank!

Thankfully the bird showed incredibly well making it easy to pick up the subtle differences - one thing I got from it that is not mentioned in the books so may not hold water is that being a slightly smaller finer proportioned RP it often gave the impression of being slightly mor gangly legged.

cheers, Andrew

lovely catching up on the work here - particularly taken by the pratincole in colour and the ink red-throat.

A pile of American waders have arrived in the Hebrides of late.
cheers, Andrew

Andrew, So I am told. Having left Grimsay last Saturday I spent some time trying to find them without success. I was surprised that lochs that one day held loads of waders, held none the folowing day. When I found and reported a Glaucous Gull it turned out that it had been there all summer. Never mind, thoroughly enjoyed the visit and what we did see and will be back.

Bob

Bit of a hiatus there......too much birding and too much work.......stupid number of American waders and nice selection of other migrants in the Hebrides has distracted me.

Hopefully will post some of the goodies shortly (the clocks have gone back and the forecast ain't good for the weekend!), in the meantime here's the Swainson's thrush from Barra found by one of the regular Barra crew who come out every autumn for around a month to bird the migration on the island.

A Scottish tick for me and surprisingly 22 years since I last saw the species in the UK!

cheers, Andrew

Attachments

• 002_1.jpg
    002_1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 104
nice expression, and I really like how you've done the legs and feet.

. . . almost exactly what I was thinking; immediately after I said aloud - 'I wish the little beggar (sic) had popped out again' (I had a 'close encounter' last month but it never showed again . . .). Again - love the feet. Where's this headed Andrew?

. . . almost exactly what I was thinking; immediately after I said aloud - 'I wish the little beggar (sic) had popped out again' (I had a 'close encounter' last month but it never showed again . . .). Again - love the feet. Where's this headed Andrew?

Very Swainson's Thrushlike. I was just remarking the other day to my wife that we've only seen one this fall, here where they're supposed to be not thousands of miles across the water! I don't think they've been rare, but they sure seem to have been for us. On a related note I saw my first Hermit Thrush of the fall yesterday.

Tim, no plans for these just trying to get my eye back in on working up some coloured pencil work.....couple more attached west meets east.....not entirely happy with the Blyth's reed haven't quite got the tones rigfht and you'll note much scrubbing at the primaries!

Buff-bellied pipit bill is maybe a touch heavy but......it was a Sept lunch break find on my local beach!

May get distracted by waxwings...some in the garden today but 350! in Stornoway today.

cheers, Andrew

Attachments

• 003_1.jpg
    003_1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 004_1.jpg
    004_1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 91
more beautiful work, I'm still hoping to get a YB Warbler here one day, will just have to make do with a great tit that occasionally makes a "tso-eest" call outside my window.

more beautiful work, I'm still hoping to get a YB Warbler here one day, will just have to make do with a great tit that occasionally makes a "tso-eest" call outside my window.

I always think they're shouting 'It's meee - it's meee' . . great sound, whatever

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back