• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mp3 type suggestions for birding by ear training (1 Viewer)

Marys1000

It seems to be that some of the actual "birding by ear" type training (Peterson's Thayer) etc. is still mostly available on CD and whats available on itunes is more id books/apps with songs for each bird.
Since I have some cd's I would like to put them on an mp3 player of some sort. tried to get them on an ipod no joy after trying all day!, find apple enormously aggravating so despite having the best apps think I'm going to go all PC/MS/Android and call my one foray into the world of apple good and press on.

Anyone have an experience doing this? I see Samsungs 4, 5 mp3 video players (very ipod like) run on android so would be able to run android apps like a cellphone but they are also being discontinued and I'm not sure what that means.
Would I be able to copy my cd to these more easily? I've heard the name Zune as well.
I don't think you can do this with a smart phone.......not that I have one or need one but theoretically I could buy one and use it as an mp3 wi fi player and it might make resale and operating system updates easier

No experience with android devices, but I'd be happy to help if you want to give another go to putting your cds onto an ipod. There seems to be a difference in philosphy that makes some Apple software hard to grasp for those more used to the Windows world, and Itunes does have some ideosyncratic behaviour, but it's not that difficult. Just tell us what you've tried and where things go haywire for you.

Andrea

Larkwire

Hi,

Not an answer to your question, but are you familiar with Larkwire? It is a birdsong learning app that can be used over the Internet or downloaded to Apple devices. I've heard good things about it though have not tried it yet myself.

http://www.larkwire.com/

Review by birdforum member here:

http://www.birderslibrary.com/reviews/software/larkwire_birdsong_app.htm

Best,
Jim

Hi Jim,

I just bought Larkwire for both my iPad and Web Access--the latter purchase supported my local Audubon society, so it was a win-win.

And I love the format and the way that it teaches. I've often been weak at birding by ear and I really like the ways that this shows/quizes me on certain birding songs.

Highly recommended!:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back