• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me to Choose Please! :-) (1 Viewer)

Hi All. New member here in Ohio!

I'm looking at buying either a Carson JK042 10 x 42mm pair of bins; or a Vanguard Venture Plus 10 x 42mm.

A 3rd pair could be Tacoma Phase Coated 10 x 42mm, and they are all WP/Fog Proof of course. A late entry is the Simmons Pro Sport 10 x 42mm

Any comments/suggestions/experience to pass along for a new buyer in this field?
Thanks!

Out of that group I am only familiar with the Venture Plus. Good contrast and apparent brightness but my pair arrived out of collimation straight from the box.

The Tacoma sounds familiar. Is it a Tasco model? I know the Dakota Elite 10x42s had another company name in front of them but I think it was Takumi and not Tacoma. I could be wrong though. I do enjoy the Dakota Elite 8x32s that I purchased quite a bit. For the price they are tough to beat.

Hi Frank

Tacoma is affiliated with Barska; and I saw these advertised at just uner $100 on Ebay. Though they might be a good buy as they're "phase coated". Thanks for your info re the Vanguard.:t:

Out of that group I am only familiar with the Venture Plus. Good contrast and apparent brightness but my pair arrived out of collimation straight from the box.

The Tacoma sounds familiar. Is it a Tasco model? I know the Dakota Elite 10x42s had another company name in front of them but I think it was Takumi and not Tacoma. I could be wrong though. I do enjoy the Dakota Elite 8x32s that I purchased quite a bit. For the price they are tough to beat.

what is your budget? instead of looking at those specific models, why not describe your budget, needs, and intended uses and there might be an even better suggestion?

what is your budget? instead of looking at those specific models, why not describe your budget, needs, and intended uses and there might be an even better suggestion?

I agree with the above, and am curious why you have decided upon 10x as opposed to 8x.

A couple of 10x that come to mind around the $100 mark are the Nikon Trailblazer and Bushnell Natureview roofs.

If you can stand 8x, then there is no better deal on a bino than the 8x42 Bushnell Legend Ultra HD's over on Amazons Warehouse deals for $135, and you can probably get the $50 rebate.

Tom

Hi All. New member here in Ohio!

I'm looking at buying either a Carson JK042 10 x 42mm pair of bins; or a Vanguard Venture Plus 10 x 42mm.

A 3rd pair could be Tacoma Phase Coated 10 x 42mm, and they are all WP/Fog Proof of course. A late entry is the Simmons Pro Sport 10 x 42mm

Any comments/suggestions/experience to pass along for a new buyer in this field?
Thanks!

What is your budget and how will you want to use the binocular? I have a strong feeling there are lots of better brands as far as value for the money than these.

Tom's mention of the $135 Legand Ultra is certainly one, but as I read the add, they are used.

What is your budget and how will you want to use the binocular? I have a strong feeling there are lots of better brands as far as value for the money than these.

Tom's mention of the $135 Legand Ultra is certainly one, but as I read the add, they are used.

Steve

They are marked used because they are returns for some reason. I bought one of the ones marked "like new" and when I got them they looked like they just came off a store shelf. No problems at all.

Tom

Steve

They are marked used because they are returns for some reason. I bought one of the ones marked "like new" and when I got them they looked like they just came off a store shelf. No problems at all.

Tom

Well, I did wonder about that. One thing I have noticed lately about the Legend HD is that the last ones I have looked at, say over the last couple of months, have been better to my eye that the mediocre one I had, and some of the others I have seen. I'd like to know if Bushnell has changed something in a sort of quiet fashion.

Well, I did wonder about that. One thing I have noticed lately about the Legend HD is that the last ones I have looked at, say over the last couple of months, have been better to my eye that the mediocre one I had, and some of the others I have seen. I'd like to know if Bushnell has changed something in a sort of quiet fashion.

Steve

Reading Ricks (RJM) comments over on the Bushnell Legend 10x43 thread got me thinking about yours here asking if maybe something has quietly changed.

One of my biggest gripes last year about the 8x42 was that the eyecups did not seem to screw out far enough for proper eye relief, and consequently I sold them and kept the 8x36 & 10x42 models. Rick mentioned this eyecup issue again on his 8x42's recently, and it dawned on me that I am not having this problem with the latest 8x42's I picked up off Amazon. So who knows - maybe something has changed.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back