• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Larkwire - web and iOS app for learning NA bird songs (1 Viewer)

jedigrant

Larkwire is a web or iOS app that uses games to aid the learning of bird songs. It started out as a web-based app that worked in web browsers and on most mobile devices. It's also available as a dedicated iOS app for iPhones and the like.

Regardless of what device you use it on, the functionality is the same. Larkwire uses two types of games to help users learn sounds of North American birds. In the first - "Gallery" - you are shown four birds from a given grouping. The app will play a song for you, and you choose which bird you think it is. The "Field" game is used to simulate actual birding where, when you hear a sound, you don’t have a definite set of options to choose from.

One great thing about Larkwire is that it’s very customizable. You can work on one or more pre-defined groups, as well as choose which birds from within those groups you want to be quizzed on.

I like it because it's pretty easy to use (make sure to read the instructions or leave the pop-up tips on), and is the best way that I've found to learn bird songs.

There's a lot more to it than that, of course, as well as lots of different options for the app. I go into it in more detail in my full review of Larkwire

Thanks for the info Grant, though it should be noted this is not a new idea. Thayer Birding Software, which is for desktop computers, has offered the same customizable quiz option via its Birds of North America software for many years (probably first started in the late 90's).

http://www.thayerbirding.com/

Jim

Larkwire

Larkwire is a web or iOS app that uses games to aid the learning of bird songs. It started out as a web-based app that worked in web browsers and on most mobile devices. It's also available as a dedicated iOS app for iPhones and the like.

Regardless of what device you use it on, the functionality is the same. Larkwire uses two types of games to help users learn sounds of North American birds. In the first - "Gallery" - you are shown four birds from a given grouping. The app will play a song for you, and you choose which bird you think it is. The "Field" game is used to simulate actual birding where, when you hear a sound, you don’t have a definite set of options to choose from.

One great thing about Larkwire is that it’s very customizable. You can work on one or more pre-defined groups, as well as choose which birds from within those groups you want to be quizzed on.

I like it because it's pretty easy to use (make sure to read the instructions or leave the pop-up tips on), and is the best way that I've found to learn bird songs.

There's a lot more to it than that, of course, as well as lots of different options for the app. I go into it in more detail in my full review of Larkwire

Grant: I just learned about this from a flier from my local Audubon group and purchased it for both the web (which benefitted the Audubon Group by its purchase) and the IOS version for my iPad Mini.

Terrific indeed! I really like this teaching method and recommend it highly to those who want to improve their birding by ear. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back