• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Audubon bird caller (1 Viewer)

garry1366

Does anybody know where you can get them in the uk? I've only seen them on US sites but shipping is a bit steep for something that only costs a couple of quid.

Garry

garry1366 said:
Does anybody know where you can get them in the uk? I've only seen them on US sites but shipping is a bit steep for something that only costs a couple of quid.

Garry

not sure they are in the uk they were a fad a while ago but then people realised they were crap haven't seen one for years

Steve Babbs said:
not sure they are in the uk they were a fad a while ago but then people realised they were crap haven't seen one for years

They work very well most of the time and attract birds really close. Its all in the wrist-action !!

When I was in the states I found people walking around with them who did'nt even have optics. They were just walking around squeeking. They are a bit of a pain. I have also seen photographers using them to get the attention of roosting owls. Like all these thing they can be abused....

Tim Allwood said:
used them with varying results....
.......not noticed any real benefit over some quality pishing though
Tim
I got one (from Alana Ecology) back in December. I'd never seen one before, but was impressed by the obvious response from tits and crests when a Devon birder used one at Seaton Hole when the Hume's Warbler was there. Suitably intrigued by the curious little device, and finding it was only about a fiver, I thought it worth a try.......

At the moment I'll reserve judgement (haven't tried it with a bush-full of skulking passage warblers yet) - but, as Tim suggests, possibly no more or less effective than pishing. For me, though, there is a benefit - pishing just wears me out. After a couple of hours conscientious pishing I have to massage my exhausted lip and tongue muscles, gargle with a medicinal rioja and have a lengthy lie-down.

And quality pishing! Well..............

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back