• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

turnstone carving (1 Viewer)

mark richards

United Kingdom
finished this today, been finishing this carving for the last few weeks,I got there in the end. I carve a few birds in one go, it helps me to iron out any faults,and gives me a break from just one bird. paint one, carve another,..

Attachments

• DSC_3952-1.jpg
    DSC_3952-1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC_3951.jpg
    DSC_3951.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC_3954.jpg
    DSC_3954.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 115
It's a beauty Mark - top class. What wood are you carving these from?
How about doing a 'Work In Progress' to show us non-carvers how you go aboutit? It would be great to see.

Lovely carvings Mark. Beautifully done.

My mum used to make a lot of pottery and she loved birds, and made a few items. She has kept them to this day. Puffins and Gannets where her favourites.

I wondered if anyone would do what you do with wood, or pottery as another subject on BF.

Last edited:
good to see more carvings on here (and such good ones at that!), something I should have a go at again, rarely I do 3D work, but as I'm limited in tools, materias and knowledge, most of my 3D stuff is papier mâché around rubbish taped together to give it shape. Yes, this is inspiring, which means I'm going to have to give in and have a go soon!

Really nice Mark. I'd be interested to see a work in progress thread too. I've always found carving fascinating and would love to have a go at some point.

Mike

Lovely work.
I really envy people who have an artistic flair,being a complete duffer in that area myself.
I used to work with a guy who carved all sorts of animals and watching him carve a Koala and baby asked how he did it.
His reply was `I just chip off the bits that don`t look like a Koala`

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back