• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Landscape lens (2 Viewers)

katholdbird

Hi All I am thinking of doing a bit of landscape photography but have not got a clue on what lens to get. Up to now All my lens are used for birds/wildlife so any help on a wide angled lens would be great. Cheers Kath

Hi Kath, I have a Canon 17-40, it was OK on the crop camera but on the 5D3 it is superb IMHO. I guess a lot depends on just how wide or otherwise you want. With the 5D3 I have even found the 70-200/4 IS to be a very good landscape lens at times.
I suppose if you wanted a one lens fits all for landscapes on a full frame then the 24-105 seems to get good reviews.

To some extent it also depends on what sort of landscapes you intend to photograph, Norweigian fjords from the water I used 18-22 mm equivalents a lot, otherwise I use 24-35 for sweeping farmscapes and up to about 150 for everything else, though I have gone up to about 650 for remote hilltops from the other sides of a valley on a clear day. For general lightweight work something like a 24, 28 or 35mm prime comes in handy.

Landscapes are a bit like birds, it all depends on what you shoot most and you can always guarantee that if you leave a lens out of the bag it will be the one you need.

The 24-105 Roy recommends sounds a good starting point - covering the most used landscape focal lengths.

Going very wide can get expensive and many folks forget that the view does not just get wider, it goes up and down as well. Many find that stitching together a simple panorama on the computer using good software is more to their liking - just remember to switch off auto exposure if you do this.

I do love the 24/105 on full frame as its a great range but if i wanted wider i would go for the 17/40 .

Rob.

Hi All Thanks for the advice Roy mentioned the 70-200 I have this lens and it never entered my head to try if for landscape always always use it at the long end for wildlife just shows how blind you can be to other types of photography but that is another discussion. So I will try 70-200 and if I enjoy landscapes I will get the 17-40. Cheers Kath

I decided to go with the 24-105 f4 to use with my 5D3. Shows a little bit of vignetting when used wide open but overall it's pretty good for the money.

I use all the lenses mentioned here and my vote purely for landscape photography goes to the 17-40mm.

Last edited:
Any (good quality) lens is a good landscape lens. A friend of mine recently did a very interesting landscape series with his 600 F4, certainly not the most obvious choice!
I, mainly, use the Canon 17-40 and 24-105 and find that they cover the majority of my needs and occasionally use a 300mm. About the only lens I don't use is my 70-200 as I just never seem to need it's focal range.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back