Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 13th January 2016, 23:51   #26
jrp jr

Celestron Ultima 80 zoom for TSN 1 -4

I have been playing with making some adapters for budget scopes to allow them to use better eyepieces. In doing this I went the other way and discovered that the Celestron zoom 8-24 for the 80mm ultima does fit and preform like a champ on my TSN-1. My scope version does not have the sealed glass window. A very thin o-ring must be placed under the Celestron's eyepiece collar as described by others for the Optiicron zoom eyepiece. This prevents the barrel of the eyepiece from rotating. The o-ring must be needle thin in order to allow for focus at the 24mm setting near and far.The field of view is typical for a zoom. The clarity is what is surprising. The 8mm focal length gives 52.5x. I see no defects or loss of clarity. Really, considering from where the eyepiece came I was stunned. After what equates to 45x there is a slight dimming. At 52 it is slight but obvious. 40x seems to allow me to resolve the best detail. After this mark I see no increase in resolution but the view is bigger but still very clear. I think that pretty much describes any 80mm class quality non-ED/APO scope.

In the past I tried the Kowa TE-9z zoom. I was not impressed and sent it back. I accept the use of this one maybe because I have accepted that almost all zoom lenses used at high power is not very pleasant with glasses on. So off they came.

I was going to try the Opticron v2 but I cannot see why I should now.

The only way I have been able to find this eyepiece is to actually buy the 80mm Ultima scope. I think I bought mine for $174.00. I'll be selling the Ultima scope with a modified Celestron LER adapted. The scope may be huge but it is incredible for the $. The 65mm Ultima comes with a different smaller zoom eyepiece and you do not want that one. This zoom works, good luck with it. JP
Old Monday 25th January 2016, 07:51   #27
yves0071

Hi,
Great summary for compatibility possibilities!.
I just have one question (2 in fact) , Eyepieces for 820M series are the same as 820 ones?
Also, I saw in the past a 20-60 Kowa EP mounted on a 823 but this eyepiece was with grey colour (as aluminium colour). I never saw that type of EP. Where does it come from? Is it comon?
Thanks in advance and best regads
Yves
Old Monday 25th January 2016, 12:30   #28
jring

Hi,

the 823M seems to be a later version with improved grey vs. green body (the 820 series had a not too strong plastic body). See the following thread. So the 820M series should be fully compatible to the 820 series but to no other Kowa scopes, although adapters exist to use small form factor EPs (from TSN-1,2,3,4 TSN-600/610 and TSN-660 series) on the 820 series.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=12045

PS: Thanks a lot to jrp jr for posting his experiences with the celestron EPs!

Joachim

Last edited by jring : Monday 25th January 2016 at 12:31. Reason: added thank you line...
Old Wednesday 17th February 2016, 09:20   #29
Grando

Yves, I think the grey 20-60 zoom you mention was brought out with the 823m - its colour matches the greyer body of the m model. It will work on a standard 823. Not sure if there are any optical differences with it to the earlier zoom, such as different coatings etc.
Old Tuesday 9th August 2016, 03:17   #30
westNE

Sooo... I'm confused, nothing new for me. I would like to try the Celestron Ultima 80 eyepiece on a 663m, I shouldn't have any issue with any of the glass that keeps some eyepieces from working in the old, sealed, TSN1,2,3,4 scopes, correct? Has anyone else tried this eyepiece? Sounds like quite a saving over a new Kowa zoom.
Thanks,
Nick
Old Friday 19th August 2016, 07:38   #31
jring

Hi,

actually the 601 is newer than the 1,2,3,4 series... you have to look for the protecting glass yourself. On my old style TSN-3 body you can see and touch the prism where the EP goes, the later 1,2,3,4 series models have a glass plate in front of the prism which hermetically seals the body.

You can measure the distance of the bayonet flange to the prism/glass plate with a slide gauge or so and post here, up in the thread I have given the measurements for the EPs I own and others might be able to help too.

Joachim
Old Sunday 25th December 2016, 14:31   #32
jring

Hi,

just for the record in this thread since I searched for half an hour for this info again...

The size of the accessory thread a around the bayonet on TSN-1/2/3/4 (and probably other small bayonet Kowas) is M41x0.75. For the current large bayonet Kowas I found M55x0.75.

Joachim
Old Friday 3rd February 2017, 10:46   #33
Vámibimbero

Bigger fix magnification for old Kowa TSN-3?

Hello,

First, thank you so much for everybody to share informations about eyepiece compatibility for older Kowa scopes. I recently have bought an old Kowa TSN-3 scope, without prism sealing glass (factory number 124 695, so early version), and I am very happy with it. The scope came with old 20x and 60x fix magnification eyepieces, and thanks to your support, I managed to buy a new TSE-14WD 30x fix ocular, that is amazing with this old scope.

My question is, that do you know any reliable fix magnification ocular from third party above 50x or 60x that I should use with this scope? I feel that the old 60x fix ocular has quite poor light transmission. I would like to use the scope for colour ring reading, so I need big magnification too. As I have heard and read no particularly happy opinion about the Kowa zoom, I am interested to have newer fix high magnification.

Thanks in advance,

Krisz
Old Friday 3rd February 2017, 14:41   #34
jring

Hi,

the old 60x is indeed singlecoated and thus might loose a few percent of transmission and thus perceived image brightness. But the smaller exit pupil of 1.2mm will have a larger effect on perceived image brightness - and will be there even with the best coatings available.

If 18-52x is ok for you, the Opticron SDLv2 zoom will work very well with minimal adaption (just add a rubber o-ring) with your TSN-3. Mine still gives good views and even thorough comparison to the current top dog Kowa 883 has not made me run to the store. Yes, the 883 and the new zoom is better, but not 2k€ better...

Regarding high mag fixed EPs I have tried a 6.3mm TAL Ploessl w/o the 1.25" barrel which gives 67x and looks ok but needs adaption and has quite short eye relief.
I have also tried an Opticron fixed mag EP 40861 with 5mm focal length and 84x - this also needs adaption (40925 adapter plus duct tape) and works ok. But obviously the 0.9mm exit pupil means you need good light.

Joachim
Old Saturday 25th March 2017, 09:00   #35
yves0071

Dear Colleagues ,
I summarized the information from Joachim and form others or collected in many other sites, in a table.
Of course, if you want to update the table, ,please tell me the changes as I am happy to update it.
(I can send ou the excel table if you PM me your email address).
I tried to attached excel table not ot sure it will work!
Best regards
Yves
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Equivalency tables 1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	619886  
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Equivalency tables.xlsx (13.9 KB, 20 views)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: