• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prolific painters- what do you do with your work? (1 Viewer)

kittykat23uk

Hi all,

I found some really nice frames in a local discount shop for only £6 each that fit the last three pictures I created perfectly. They are now proudly displayed in my bedroom. Unfortunately getting the godwits framed was rather more pricey but hopefully it will be worth it. Which made me wonder, do you all display your own work at home, sell it on or give it away to family and friends or does it end up in a big pile somewhere where no one but you can see it?! If you do display your work, how often do you change your pictures? Do you have particular favorites that stay out all the time?

For me, the artwork I have on display is a mixture of paintings I have painted myself- like the indian birds, and some of my pets, and the rest I have collected from travelling, for example I have a gorgeous painting of two roseate spoonbills that I picked up in the Dominican Republic in the lounge along with a batique of some brightly coloured birds, and in the bedorom I have just put up a huge silk painting of two tigers from Bandhavgarh.

I also have a display cabinet full of my painted wargames miniatures (dragons and other mythical beasts) but have been concentrating more on wildlife recently. :t:

Big pile on the floor for me, one or two that are in frames are on the walls at my parents', otherwise I've got about 7 A1 portfolios that are jampacked, plus smaller paintings stored in boxes. If I could sell each of them off at a tenner each I'd be rich!

That's virtually what I did Nick - just prior to relocating up here, I went through all my folders from years back and put them into boxes. I used to have two local pubs down in Yorkshire and on consecutive weekends I took each place over, pushed all the tables together and had 2 massive 'give-away' sales. They were absolutely hilarious and also gave lots of my family and friends the chance to own an original before I went away. Prices ranged between £2 to £15 (although I also put some 'proper' paintings up too) and we sold just about everything. I donated 10% of the sales to the 2 local schools and, as Sally reminds me, I got extremely smashed at each event - great fun!!!
Nowadays I'm less prolific, but possibly slightly more focused, so most of my stuff goes either into my own gallery or to one or two others south that I work through. One or two favourites are on the walls of our house.

With the exception of 2 paintings,any paintings not sold go into a folder that hardly ever sees the light of day. Bit like my photography. I dont have a single photo on my wall. I guess its one of those things you will always get round to tomorrow.

Steve if painting gives you pleasure then you paint! We all have paintings that are not very good and we dont get it right all of the time but alittle inspiration and encouragement goes along way.

All the paintings that I finish tend to end up at the gallery if they are birds and I'm happy with them. Anything else, mammals etc, lives in a cupboard until it sells through the website or I give it away or somesuch. As for the unfinished ones and totally abandoned ones, they are all in the garage.

Mike

But for Bird forum , like Steve my pic's prob. would remain unseen, as it is a hobby for me. Some are on the wall but most just packed away.

That's virtually what I did Nick - just prior to relocating up here, I went through all my folders from years back and put them into boxes. I used to have two local pubs down in Yorkshire and on consecutive weekends I took each place over, pushed all the tables together and had 2 massive 'give-away' sales. They were absolutely hilarious and also gave lots of my family and friends the chance to own an original before I went away. Prices ranged between £2 to £15 (although I also put some 'proper' paintings up too) and we sold just about everything. I donated 10% of the sales to the 2 local schools and, as Sally reminds me, I got extremely smashed at each event - great fun!!!
Nowadays I'm less prolific, but possibly slightly more focused, so most of my stuff goes either into my own gallery or to one or two others south that I work through. One or two favourites are on the walls of our house.

Wow! I wish I'd have been at one of those sales! :t:

Speaking on behalf of my husband - who I represent on this forum, I can say that there is very little of his work still in our posession.

A lot of it is throughout the world - Spain /Norway/Iceland/Germany as well as in Britain and more locally .As a jobbing artist / sign writer his canvasses/murals/sign brushwork/special effects were always as a job.

The last series of canvasses were for Scandinavia (I put some on the 'Joint Thread') and the last main work he did was a recreation of old sign work for the refurbishment of the reopened Grade II listed observatory in Hesketh Park Southport which was quite a job - it had to be reproduced exactly as the old and you can see the work on this site if you scroll down to the telescope images - it was an absolute swine to space exactly around the circumference and we couldn't help but think of the poor 'ragged trousered' (as in Tressle's book) sign writer who probably worked long hours for a pittance and did a stirling job.
- http://www.southportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50373362

He's had very little time to indulge his nature studies which were a passion (some are on the 'Joint Thread) but is hoping to do more now he has started an Honours Degree in Wildlife Photography at Blackpool.

Pat X

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back