• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need tips for painting Hummingbirds (1 Viewer)

CrimsonTopaz

Aves, The Stars, And Beyond...
Hi there.
I've been looking at this part of the forum for sometime now, and i was wondering if there are any fellow avian artists out there who could give me some friendly advice for painting Hummers.
A few months ago i painted a Swallow-tailed Hummingbird useing acrylic on canvas. To capture the wonderfull metallic and irredecence tones of the bird i mixed bright colours together and highlighted the irredecent parts with white paint. My partner said it looked good, but i was'nt so convinced (i think he was just being kind!).
I'm urgently in need of some advice, if anyone could help i'd be most gratefull.

Regards,
Crimson|:S|

Iridescence is all about contrast, there is a graduation from black to white through the colour (hope that makes sense). Could you possibly post a picture of it, would be easier to give some hints then.

Iridescence is all about contrast, there is a graduation from black to white through the colour (hope that makes sense). Could you possibly post a picture of it, would be easier to give some hints then.

Please forgive my ignorance, but im new to Birdforum and i'm not sure on how to post pictures:brains:
Thanks for your replie.o:)

Ok, here's how to post pictures: If you click on the box 'Go Advanced' there is 'Manage Attachments' button, where you can upload pictures. Hope that helps.

Welcome to the best bit of BF!

I tackled the irridescence on this starling:

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/163633/ppuser/2672

by starting with a dark ground and painting white highlights over the top. Some of the white was more transluscent for the 'darker lights' and I applied it more thickly for where I wanted the brightest highlights. The irridescence was achieved by glazing transluscent colours over the whites. I'm sure there are other ways to achieve sheen effects but this works for me.

In fact I've just remembered; a long while ago I had some acrylic varnishes made by Libron which were water based and metalic. They had to be used sparingly, but they were marvelous for creating a metalic sheen on insects and fish. I painted a hobby with a dragonfly in its talons and the varnish really made the insect shimmer.

Hope this may help some, good luck with any future paintings and don't be shy, everyone's pretty friendly round these parts so do post your paintings for us.

Mike

Last edited:
Excellent example Woody! The contrast is key. If it doesn't look quite right try using a glaze or a wash of the intended color then go back in with the lights and darks.

hi ,crimson. you can buy iridescence powders, which you can use with wet brush, i do use these sometimes for mallards head carvings . pintail carving supplies sell them ,uk .
thay come in small jars and probably last a lifetime..

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful tip's.
I'll definately try and up-load my pic's, but i must ask first, would i need to scan them on to my comp or could i just take a photo of the painting then post it? (i don't have a scanner, not much of a tech-head!).
With regards to Woody,that is a most beautifull painting of a starling. It looks so real!.
Mark could i just ask you where you purchased your iridescent powders from please?. Also i have been toying with the idea of buying metalic paints would any of you guy's recommend ?.

Many thanks,
Crimson:bounce:

Thanks for all your help Mark, eternally gratefull to you:t:
Do you have an example of one of you carvings, i'd love to see one.

Crimson|=)|

mark if your out there......what pages of the gallery are your carvings on?
Also i'll try to get some of my stuff on here.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back