• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (4 Viewers)

Depuradora S'Illot 31st Aug.

Wood Sandpiper x4
Green Sandpiper x4
Snipe x13
Marsh Harrier x5
Woodchat S. x1
Shoveler x2
Swift x1
Hoopoe x3
Stone Curlew x1
Kingfisher x1

S'Albufereta 6th Sept.

08.45 -10.00
Little Egret x130
Flamingo x3 (2ad., 1juv.)
Purple Heron x8
Water Rails heard
Marsh Harrier x1 (2cy male?)
Ringed Plover x2
Little Ringed Plover x2
Great White Egret x3
Gadwall x3
Snipe x1
Yellow Wags over
Turtle Dove x1
Woodchat Shrike x1 (1cy)
Hybrid Egret put in a very brief appearance.

Port de Pollenca 6th Sept.

Audouins Gulls x19 on reefs. Also up to 18 Shags seen during the week.

Also at Cami Volantina
Woodchat Shrike x1 male.
Common Buzzard x1 south at 15.30.

hi mike, what winds are favorable for movement at this time of year please Easterlies? is the pure reef heron still about. im due a weeks visit 23rd of September

Last edited:
Hi Stew, the nice shot of the Shrike taken at C'an cuarassa looks to me more like an Ad female Red Backed Shrike. Can't notice many vermiculations or Scaling on the upper parts to signal a juvvy bird.
Jonathan

Hi Stew, the nice shot of the Shrike taken at C'an cuarassa looks to me more like an Ad female Red Backed Shrike. Can't notice many vermiculations or Scaling on the upper parts to signal a juvvy bird.
Jonathan

Interesting you should say that Jonathan, I had a moment of doubt when I first saw it but caved in to self-doubt because I'd seen adult woodchats here in May. Here's another shot..

Stew

Walked the Bocquer Valley after breakfast this morning. A wryneck and at least two redstarts were in the orchard below the track after the finca (with another wryneck calling), and a northern wheatear was on the track further along. Two obliging Balearic warblers were at the top of the slope to the sea (calling almost constantly) and three Eleanora's falcons were over the ridge.

A brief afternoon visit to La Gola produced a pied flycatcher and a chance to meet Christina.

I took the opportunity to look at Tucan Marsh while Mrs B was shopping in Alcudia. The marsh was very dry, but never the less produced a flock of around 30 little ringed plovers and a couple of purple gallinules (or western purple swamphens as we seem to be calling them in the UK).

Stew

Attachments

• IMG_7041.jpg
    IMG_7041.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_7056.jpg
    IMG_7056.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 86
Hi Craig, I asked that very question to our resident raptor man and I didn't get a definitive answer. Wind direction in Mallorca is so unpredictable. Being a small island, the land heats up during the day and then later in the afternoon the winds are all over the place. Wind direction is logged for each day of raptor watching and there are good days when the winds look bad and bad days when we were expecting something special. I will bring the subject up again on Sunday when I meet with the group and post. I think most locals agree that you just never know. Mike

Still looks good for Ad F Red Backed Shrike.
Cracking shot of Balearic Warbler Stew, best I've managed in the Boquer valley is brief flight views or perched up for a split second.
Jonathan

Ps. The Western Reef Heron has not been seen for quite some time, I feel sure it has departed. I always post any news that I get so all bird news will be on this thread. Mike

Hi Skippo, I don't know of anyone in that area at the moment. Nearly all visiting birders are located in the north and I don't know any local birders who live in that area either. Looks like you will have the place to yourself! Soller is very good for Vultures and some very rare birds have been seen in Andratx so you may well see something special, it's very underwatched. Good luck, Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back