• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which reed warbler - Jeddah (1 Viewer)

ammadoux

Registered doux
i am thinking of European reed, or maybe Caspian reed.

please help, thanks so much.

Attachments

• marsh5a.gif
    marsh5a.gif
    188.5 KB · Views: 142
I suspect that you're correct ammadoux!...Caspian Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus scipaceous fuscus), seems to be the best fit, given the location, fantastic shots btw! Are the images recent?

Cheers

It does seem to be a bird from the A.scirpaceus complex, but with such a short primary projection and richly coloured plumage, is fuscus really the best candidate here? Ssp fuscus is (supposed to be) a dull grey-brown, not particularly short-winged reed warbler. Also the "kink" on the wing on the first shot probably marks the position of the emargination of P3, which looks to fall short of the secondarird tips...it is usually a sign that P4 is (at least slightly) emarginated.
All this does not fit fuscus very well I'd say. I'd rather look in the direction of Mangrove or even African reed warbler.

It does seem to be a bird from the A.scirpaceus complex, but with such a short primary projection and richly coloured plumage, is fuscus really the best candidate here? Ssp fuscus is (supposed to be) a dull grey-brown, not particularly short-winged reed warbler. Also the "kink" on the wing on the first shot probably marks the position of the emargination of P3, which looks to fall short of the secondarird tips...it is usually a sign that P4 is (at least slightly) emarginated.
All this does not fit fuscus very well I'd say. I'd rather look in the direction of Mangrove or even African reed warbler.

The colour doesn't look quite right to me, I wonder how accurate it is?

I get colours like that in pics taken in late afternoon sun?

A

The pp appears to be 1/3 of overlying tertials which is within the accepted variance (66%) for A.scirp. There are a number of examples very similar (rich warm tones), shown on the web for fuscus, and I suspect that it "mirrors" other RW that occur in Spring within the region. That being said...I have never been to the area, and am relying on images shown on the web purporting to show Caspian Reed Warbler, the emargination on p3 falling "outside" the tertial area...I believe conforms to general RW wing biometrics.

Hi all,
Ammodaux a bit perplexed you have been lucky to study Mangrove Reed Warblers. What makes you think Caspian Warbler which is very variable?

Hi all,
Ammodaux a bit perplexed you have been lucky to study Mangrove Reed Warblers. What makes you think Caspian Warbler which is very variable?

i forgot about the mangrove reed, but yes this is the time when they come to the region and start breeding.

but i am still confused MRW usually have longer bill.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back