• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh or Caspian reed warbler (1 Viewer)

ammadoux

Registered doux
Hello all

this the time of marsh, the face looks IMHO like Marsh, what do you think.

have not better shots for the back.

thanks so much.

Attachments

• marsh3a.gif
    marsh3a.gif
    177.3 KB · Views: 139
  • marsh4a.gif
    marsh4a.gif
    172.4 KB · Views: 170
Tricky bird. Some features are good for Marsh (dark ridge on upper mandible, orange lower mandible, pale "brow" above the eye, rounded head, olive-brown coloration on upperparts), but I'm not sure I can see 8 primary tips and they're apparently not dark-centred. There's also a hint that the rump might be rufous.

Tricky bird. Some features are good for Marsh (dark ridge on upper mandible, orange lower mandible, pale "brow" above the eye, rounded head, olive-brown coloration on upperparts), but I'm not sure I can see 8 primary tips and they're apparently not dark-centred. There's also a hint that the rump might be rufous.

sorry but now i am starting to think its a young eastern olivaceous warbler, Iduna pallida. being very active in the garden these days.

I wouldn't have thought so, as it has a contrasting pale iris, long undertail-coverts and a fairly rounded tail.

the bill seem to be a bit long for Marsh, also i am thinking of Mangrove reed warbler. Acrocephalus scirpaceus avicenniae.

I dont believe this is a Marsh warbler as there are several points wrong / unusual for this species:

The claws are so dark and blackish.

The upperparts (especially the back) are unusally grey for a Marsh warbler, even for a worn bird (although I have never seen a bird that lacks yellow/green pigments which can theoretically occur).
The few greyish worn Marsh (yes I know they exist!) in I saw western Europe looked like this: http://uearg.blogspot.de/2011/08/marsh-warbler-at-whitlingham.html or http://www.club300.de/gallery/photo.php?id=53262 or http://www.rarebirdspain.net/arbsr904.htm (note the difference in colour against your bird, but I must admit that I have never been in the Middle East, do Marsh Wablers look different there, because of wear and bleaching? )

The tertials are to pale and plain even for such worn feathers.

Another thing: the iris looks unusally colorless (pale grey) for a Marsh warbler.

So my question is: do the pictures show the correct colours as perceived in the field?

I cant help, but the tertials look to broad, short and rounded for a Marsh warbler (and also for European Reed Warbler). I know, this isnt a field mark. But if you imagine this picture is a quizbird (with expensive prizes like an alpha binocular or a birding holiday) and you think that Marsh warbler is the right answer, than this detail would you hesitate to send the answer and rethink the identification. See what I mean?

The primary spacing seems to tight for a TYPICAL Marsh warbler, making the wingtip seems bunched together. But im not an expert for the variation of this character.

I dont think the undertailcoverts can be properly assesed in the picture, but i dont think they look full enough to exclude an Hippolais warbler.

There is a difference in proportions (mentioned for example in Bub and Dorsch: Kennzeichen und Mauser europäischer Singvögel 1988): Reed is a smaller bird with bigger feet while Marsh is a bigger bird with smaller feet). I havent been able to find this difference in the field, but very very very rarely I found birds where I thought: this bird has so large feet, this might be a Reed and not a Marsh. Your bird is an example of this.

So what is it? I havent experience with the relevant taxa in the Middle East, I just wanted to say that for me the bird doesnt look like a Marsh warbler

Greetings,

Alexander Stöhr

I dont believe this is a Marsh warbler as there are several points wrong / unusual for this species:

The claws are so dark and blackish.

The upperparts (especially the back) are unusally grey for a Marsh warbler, even for a worn bird (although I have never seen a bird that lacks yellow/green pigments which can theoretically occur).
The few greyish worn Marsh (yes I know they exist!) in I saw western Europe looked like this: http://uearg.blogspot.de/2011/08/marsh-warbler-at-whitlingham.html or http://www.club300.de/gallery/photo.php?id=53262 or http://www.rarebirdspain.net/arbsr904.htm (note the difference in colour against your bird, but I must admit that I have never been in the Middle East, do Marsh Wablers look different there, because of wear and bleaching? )

The tertials are to pale and plain even for such worn feathers.

Another thing: the iris looks unusally colorless (pale grey) for a Marsh warbler.

So my question is: do the pictures show the correct colours as perceived in the field?

I cant help, but the tertials look to broad, short and rounded for a Marsh warbler (and also for European Reed Warbler). I know, this isnt a field mark. But if you imagine this picture is a quizbird (with expensive prizes like an alpha binocular or a birding holiday) and you think that Marsh warbler is the right answer, than this detail would you hesitate to send the answer and rethink the identification. See what I mean?

The primary spacing seems to tight for a TYPICAL Marsh warbler, making the wingtip seems bunched together. But im not an expert for the variation of this character.

I dont think the undertailcoverts can be properly assesed in the picture, but i dont think they look full enough to exclude an Hippolais warbler.

There is a difference in proportions (mentioned for example in Bub and Dorsch: Kennzeichen und Mauser europäischer Singvögel 1988): Reed is a smaller bird with bigger feet while Marsh is a bigger bird with smaller feet). I havent been able to find this difference in the field, but very very very rarely I found birds where I thought: this bird has so large feet, this might be a Reed and not a Marsh. Your bird is an example of this.

So what is it? I havent experience with the relevant taxa in the Middle East, I just wanted to say that for me the bird doesnt look like a Marsh warbler

Greetings,

Alexander Stöhr

thanks so much so we are back to square one.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back