• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Chough Trail........ (1 Viewer)

El Annie

Phew..............
Thought some of our members might be interested in the following extract from today's Conserv@tion:

Birdwatchers in west Wales will be on the look out for the UK's rarest and most unusual crow with the opening of a new trail. The Chough Trail, which stretches from Anglesey to Pembrokeshire will bring twitchers closer to the bird which is also known as the Celtic Crow. Three quarters of the UK's chough population live in Wales and coastal areas provide the best places to view the bird in its natural habitat. Experts say the trail, which opens on Tuesday, will provide access to the birds in a controlled manner. Dave Lamcraft, chough project officer said: "People don't normally come into contact with choughs as they live in some of the remotest parts of Wales, so this is a great opportunity for people to find out how they can view them safely.

El Annie :)

Well, I personally have seen Choughs on most coasts of Anglesey, but I'm not too sure about Pembrokeshire. Certainly would be interested to keep track of where these great birds have been spotted in Wales. Hopefully see some in Cornwall next week as well.

:D

Ralph,
I have noted Choughs around the lighthouse at Strumble Head in past years and I think that is in Pembrokeshire. They are not very numberous and I have only noted the odd bird whilst doing some hours of seawatching from the shelter just down the hill from the car park.

Colin

I live in Pembs and can confirm that Coughs are doing very well here, I saw a flock of Twenty birds in the Deer park at Martins Haven only last week, a spectacular sight too !!

I am a regular visitor to the coast path in Pembrokehire, and can confirm that there are sightings along most of the western (rockiest) coastal areas. Anywhere from Dinas Head in the North, down to near to Anne's Head. Probably also in the South of the county but I am not a regular visitor there.

Near Strumble Head is good, but the place where I hae never failed to see some, is at St Justinians, near St Davids. Park in the car park near the lifeboat station and go left along the coast path...almost guaranteed.

Also, there are choughs on the Gower peninsula, round Rhosshili and Worms Head.....so they are on the increase.

El Annie

I love these birds but I must admit to only ever seeing them, in Britain, at South Stack RSPB reserve on Anglessey. I have seen them in Spain also.

They are right characters and hopefully they are recovering in sufficient numbers to safeguard there future.

Regards
John J

I have seen a small flock of about 8 birds in October 2002 on the tip of the Lynn Penninsula - can't remember the name of the village beneath the hill - just across the water from Bardesey Island. They seem to be resident there

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back