• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whose Worm anyway?? (1 Viewer)

Sue Wright

Just going through my photos from the Somerset Levels trip we had
nearly a couple of weeks ago and remembered the Lapwing
we'd watched going flat out around a field.

Then noticed that in hot pursuit were 2 Starling, both were obviously very intent on getting the Lapwing to drop the worm it had, which was one of their's maybe?

Who knows, but the Lapwing must have had the last laugh as he did
manage to get away.....still with his prize intact!!

Hi Sue,
Nice photo,I've never seen behaviour like that before!! :t:
You'd think that all the energy they put in chasing the Lapwing would have been better spent finding a worm themselves!! 3:)
A case of grass and greener eh?
Best wishes,

Hi Sue. I used to live viewing a school playing field where a goodly flock of lapwings came to feed each morning They hunted for worms but the gulls just watched and mugged the lapwings of their prizes.I believe this is very common practice.

maurice

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back