• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Optics Victory SF Honduras Trip (1 Viewer)

brocknroller

porromaniac
United States
Saw this in my Inbox this morning. If you wanted to try a Zeiss SF, here's your chance. The trip leaders are Ben Lizdas and Steve Ingraham. It's in February, so it would be a fine time to visit the islands.

Looks like Steve received a promotion. "After 11 years with ZEISS Sports Optics, Steve Ingraham is now the Senior Brand Advocate for Birding and Nature Observation." Not sure what that entails, but it means he gets to go on exotic birding trips.

Btw, forgot to mention, they are only taking TEN people on the trip. Apparently, the production of the SFs is not the only thing that's limited!

Sounds like a great trip, though.

EO Honduras Trip

Brock

My first trips to Costa Rica, Guatemala, Trinidad, and Ecuador were all with my original Zeiss Dialyt 10x40s. I don't think I missed a bird that anyone else saw. So I think the 10x42 SFs will do just fine in the jungle.

I see a difference of opinion on 7x v. 10x in the jungle. I'd like to hear what others have to say on this point and their reasons therefor.

The difference is in depth of field at close range. 7x has a lot more than 10x. That's the best reason to use one in dense wooded conditions.

Some pros, like Jerry Liquori, who wrote "Hawks At A Distance" also used Zeiss 7x45 Night Owl and 7x42 FL to identify migrating Hawks because of their very wide fields of view. (See the section about Optics for Hawkwatching on p. 8.) The new Zeiss 8x42 Victory SF has a FOV almost as wide as those did which should be even better!

Bob

Last edited:
I can't tell you about Honduras but in the parts of Pennsylvania I live in it can be dense in both places. I'm talking at distances up to 40-50 feet or so; longer than that and things start evening out. Trying to follow small birds flitting through the branches of a nearby tree can be difficult with a 10x.

One other thing to consider is that the FOVs of the 7x42 Nightowl, 7x42 Victory FL and the 8x42 Victory SF mentioned above will also be very much wider than any 10 power binocular used at those close distances.

The 8x42 Victory SF's specs IMO make it potentially the best all around birding binocular going! If it meets all expectations I can't imagine any birder not wanting one!

Bob

Last edited:
What I want in the tropics is great glare and stray light control, be it an 7, 8 or 10. The rather scattered and diffuse lighting through the canopy tends to produce far more veiling glare than most any situation I get locally. In fact, my 8x32 Conquests, that seemed pretty good in this regard, feel flat in the jungles and mountains of Costa Rica, as have many other expensive binocs I have tried in the same situation. I was saved only by having the HT's on hand as well........

I can't tell you about Honduras but in the parts of Pennsylvania I live in it can be dense in both places. I'm talking at distances up to 40-50 feet or so; longer than that and things start evening out. Trying to follow small birds flitting through the branches of a nearby tree can be difficult with a 10x.

One other thing to consider is that the FOVs of the 7x42 Nightowl, 7x42 Victory FL and the 8x42 Victory SF mentioned above will also be very much wider than any 10 power binocular used at those close distances.

The 8x42 Victory SF's specs IMO make it potentially the best all around birding binocular going! If it meets all expectations I can't imagine any birder not wanting one!

Bob

Wish there was a like button on here!?

Bryce...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back