• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bio-mimicry in action - the inspiration for the Zeiss LotuTec coatings (1 Viewer)

MKinHK

Mike Kilburn
Hong Kong
Yesterday I was birding at Long Valley in Hong Kong and found a lotus pond in which several of the leaves still had rain droplets on them from a rain shower that morning. As the wind blew the leaves I watched the water droplet sliding around the leaf like quicksilver and grabbed the short video linked below.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10154335250840333&set=vb.864050332&type=2&theater

I'm about to buy a new pair of alphas and I'm considering waiting for the new SFs and would welcome any thoughts about how effective Zeiss's coatings are at dust and water rejection.

Cheers
Mike

In medium and heavy rain the coating works very well as the water just runs off.

In very fine rain, especially if it is more like a mist than falling rain, the water slowly builds up on the lenses because the droplet size is not big enough for the Lotutec effect to work. However, with all types of rain, giving your bins a shake will throw off a lot of the water, even when the the rain is only fine.

Cleaning the lenses is easier with Lotutec as small particles do not appear to want to 'stick' to the surface in the same way, but it is still recommended to brush particles away before breathing on the lens and polishing with a micro-fibre cloth.

If you wear spectacles then having your spectacle lenses supplied with Lotutec coating is also a great idea.

Lee

If you wear spectacles then having your spectacle lenses supplied with Lotutec coating is also a great idea.

Lee

I've had similar coatings on my last few pairs of specs - just brilliant. So darn easy to keep clean. I wont ever buy specs without hydrophobic/oleophobic coatings on in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back