• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rattling ! (1 Viewer)

NZbinodude

New Zealand
Hi everyone, new to the forum. :)

I'm a college student who saved up his hard earned dough for a pair of Zeiss Victory T* Fl's (10x32). I bought them online and they arrived in the mail this morning ! Woop. My first impression of the bins was that the glass was AMAZING. The fit and and feel was stellar and overall I was super excited about them...that was until I gave them a light shake !

When I held them vertically and shook them from side to side, they made a rattling sound. It doesn't sound like metal was loose and striking glass but it but rather like something was slightly loose ? Its definitely internal; I'm fully aware of the loose 'sandtrap' plastic thing on the front of the focus knob.

This sound only comes from the left ocular tube -around the middle/top area.

I'm slightly pissed off tbh. My grandfathers old 6x30b's are over 40 years old and they make no sound whatsoever.

If the rattling is normal, I'm perfectly fine with it. My only concern is if it will get worse/there is something wrong with the bino's.

Thanks everyone. :)

Cheers,
AJ

I had no rattling in mine. But of course there are some moving parts inside, so depending on how hard to shake, it might be normal to hear some small rattling.
To be sure, you need to compare with another bin. If that's difficult, and if function is normal (bin focusses properly), I wouldn't bother.

Cheers dalat. Well, it would be difficult to find another pair to compare them to. And seeing as I got them from half way around the world it won't be anything short of a major PITA to get them serviced. I'm guessing it might be a loose screw or something, but one has to rattle them in a vertical position to be aware of it. Other than the rattling, they are superb...so I'll just try and forget about it. :)

Thanks again !
AJ

AJ,
Coming from the FL 8x32 and the FL 7x42 heavy-user clubs, I do not recall hearing, or feeling, of rattling when I shake or move either binoculars. And I would not feel comfortable if they do. I trust that the FL 10x32 should be similar; i.e. there should be no rattle or noise. The Zeiss warranty is transferable, and I would send the pair to service. Yes, this would be annoying, but thinking of the wonderful service you will get from an effectively brand new pair when they come back may make the wait-pain less so. Enjoy in good health.

Hi everyone, new to the forum. :)

I'm a college student who saved up his hard earned dough for a pair of Zeiss Victory T* Fl's (10x32). I bought them online and they arrived in the mail this morning ! Woop. My first impression of the bins was that the glass was AMAZING. The fit and and feel was stellar and overall I was super excited about them...that was until I gave them a light shake !

When I held them vertically and shook them from side to side, they made a rattling sound. It doesn't sound like metal was loose and striking glass but it but rather like something was slightly loose ? Its definitely internal; I'm fully aware of the loose 'sandtrap' plastic thing on the front of the focus knob.
http://www.birdforum.net/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=3020394
This sound only comes from the left ocular tube -around the middle/top area.

I'm slightly pissed off tbh. My grandfathers old 6x30b's are over 40 years old and they make no sound whatsoever.

If the rattling is normal, I'm perfectly fine with it. My only concern is if it will get worse/there is something wrong with the bino's.

Thanks everyone. :)

Cheers,
AJ

AJ,

I've heard about this complaint many times before with the FLs, particularly with the 32mm models. If you hold objective side towards your ears and shake the bins, you will probably find that the "rattle" is coming from inside the endcap, apparently a piece of plastic inside the cap. Nothing to worry about if that's the case, but if the noise bothers you, send the bins to Zeiss to change out the endcap.

Brock

Hi guys, thanks for the replies ! :)

Its definitely not the loose plastic thing at the back of the focus knob which is worrying me ! That thing is loose, and it does rattle a bit, but I'm not bothered with it at all. Its normal apparently.

What is bugging me is a rattling sound which comes only from within the left barrel of the binoculars - near the middle- I think. I'm not an expert on Bino's but I suspect that due to the rattling only occurring in one of the barrels, its not consistent with the other barrel and therefore not meant to be ! It sounds like a loose screw or something.

I've decided against shipping them all the way to Zeiss for repair, because its such a long way and I'd hate for something to happen to them during shipping (which has already been the case - they weren't like this in the dealer's hands). Instead I'm going to send them to a optics repair store here in New Zealand. :)

Either way, they are going to get fixed very soon. I didn't spend this much $$ on getting sub-par equipment. As I said before, if my old 40 year old Zeiss, Swedish 6x30b Millitary bino's are still going strong today, then this should definitely not be happening with a modern top tier bin which is a few weeks old !

Thanks for your help. :) Its much appreciated. Looking forward to learning as much as I can on here. I'm into my hunting, but birding really sounds pretty sweet. Probs not very common among us 18 yr/o dudes, though. Haha

Cheers,
AJ

Hope everything works out AJ. Probably nothing serious but you're doing the right thing to have them checked out. I have the Zeiss Victory HT 10X42's. Brilliant, and like you I bought them for hunting. I can't get over how sharp they are and focusing is very smooth.

When you get the chance invest in a Kuiu bino harness. They really are great for hunting and protect your bino's from banging around and are very comfortable. Much better than shoving them down the front of your jacket or shirt.

Hi Sako, thanks. :) Awesome ! The HT's are getting some rave reviews and the specs sound so sweet. I couldn't really afford them haha, so I just went with the Fl's. I bow-hunt mainly, so the medium size/lightness of the Fl's kinda appeals to me.

Oh, okay. Yeah, I was just thinking about a harness the other day ! The Fl's came with that generic Zeiss neck strap, but that's a bit useless for when you're flailing about in the back country ae. ;D Cheers for the recommendation, I'll check em' out.

Sako's are slick rifles. What model are you using atm ? Ha

Cheers,
AJ

Hi,

the rattle could either come from the cover below the focus wheel at the back of the binocular or from the moving lens element inside. If the binocular works OK it is probably nothing to worry about. Binoculars are made to be looked through - not shaken :).

Bear in mind that special tools are needed to repair these and that using an independant repairer will invalidate your Zeiss warranty !!!!!!!

Gary

My suggestion would be to email Zeiss Customer Service (so that you have a written record) and see what they recommend. As I understand it this is a brand new instrument, which is under warranty; Gary's cautionary note is very important. Be careful about invalidating Zeiss' warranty !!!

Ed

Gary/Elkcub: Argh, I didn't consider that. So it looks like sending them to Zeiss is the best option...

They do work wonderfully, but I just don't think rattling should be taken so lightly in a piece of expensive optical equipment ! I don't have a clue what it could be, so what if it gets loose in the field and strikes the prism ? Idk, its just bugging me. One doesn't have to 'shake' them to hear the rattling. A gentle turn of the wrist will yield the same results. And the fact that the rattling is coming from only one of the barrels, screams inconsistency.

I checked again, and its coming from the very top of the barrel (around the objective lens area).

Also, would I have to send the bino's back to the US dealer I got the from, or can I send them straight to Zeiss Germany ?

Cheers,
AJ

Hi Sako, thanks. :)
Sako's are slick rifles. What model are you using atm ? Ha

Cheers,
AJ

I use a Sako Black Bear .308, Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42 scope, DPT suppressor.

I would prefer a 8x32 or 10x32 for general hunting as it's lighter and more compact. The 10x42 is good when the light falls though. I have a Zeiss rangefinder which is good to use as a monocular as it's eye box is quite large.

AJ,

If you purchased from a reputable US firm, I would suggest that you contact them ASAP (in writing) and explain what the problem is. The instrument should not rattle. Period. The dealer will then apprise you what steps need to be taken under the terms of the warranty.

Incidentally, do you have a warranty card, and what does it say?

Ed

I contacted the dealer and he's more than happy to help, but I didn't want to send them back to him because it would just be one major PITA having the bino's go through so many hands once again. I sent them directly to Zeiss Germany this morning.

They can get their brilliant engineers *cough* who signed the reg. card which stated they are in 'immaculate' condition, to fix them up, package them well and send them back to me. If they don't come back to NZ in 110% condition then that's the last time I'm ever buying a Zeiss product (which would be unfortunate seeing as Zeiss bino's fit me the best). I've wasted a lot of time and money on these bino's and I'm not satisfied one bit.

For a mid range binocular, I'd give Zeiss a break. But not for a Victory FL. If the bino's can't handle being shipped overseas, how are they going to hold up in the mountains ?

Hopefully this gets fixed up soon. I sent the bino's to Germany through express mail, so they should be there in a couple of days. Then I'll begin pestering them to make sure they're not being lazy about it.

Thanks for the help. :) I'll keep you all posted.

@Elkcub: The warranty card states that any Zeiss Bino's exported out of the US cannot be sent directly back to Zeiss USA but have to be sent through a Licensed Dealer. However, I bought the bino's from a dealer in the US who shipped them to a friend in the US who went on to send them to me. (Most U.S dealers don't ship outside of the U.S). Technically, they weren't exported out of the U.S. On the Zeiss International website, it states that bino's can be sent straight to Germany for repair...and the same thing is written on the authenticity card which came with the bino's..."if you're not satisfied, send the product back to us" - something along those lines. Its all a bit confusing to me.

Either way, I'm sure Zeiss Germany will do something about it. They were made there after all.

Fingers crossed ? :/

Last edited:
AJ,

If you purchased from a reputable US firm, I would suggest that you contact them ASAP (in writing) and explain what the problem is. The instrument should not rattle. Period. The dealer will then apprise you what steps need to be taken under the terms of the warranty.

Incidentally, do you have a warranty card, and what does it say?

Ed

I use a Sako Black Bear .308, Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42 scope, DPT suppressor.

I would prefer a 8x32 or 10x32 for general hunting as it's lighter and more compact. The 10x42 is good when the light falls though. I have a Zeiss rangefinder which is good to use as a monocular as it's eye box is quite large.

That sounds like one very sweet set-up ! I may flick you a PM sometime down the track as I'm looking at getting a Sako rifle and have loads of questions.
:) I fondled a model 85 a few weeks ago and I was really impressed with the fit and finish. I've got a bit of saving up to do, though !

You can't have enough bino's...right ? ;-)

That sounds like one very sweet set-up ! I may flick you a PM sometime down the track as I'm looking at getting a Sako rifle and have loads of questions.
:) I fondled a model 85 a few weeks ago and I was really impressed with the fit and finish. I've got a bit of saving up to do, though !

You can't have enough bino's...right ? ;-)

Feel welcome to PM me anytime. I've been using Sako rifles for thirty years.
Don't worry, Zeiss will get your binos sorted.

Zeiss Germany have been VERY good about it so far. Very prompt communication ! I dig Zeiss, and am in no way bad mouthing the quality of their products. Just got a bit pissy when I received the FL's in the state they were in. Most likely had something to do with shipping handling I reckon.

The way things are looking atm, they should be back in my hands by the end of the month. :)

Zeiss Germany have been VERY good about it so far. Very prompt communication ! I dig Zeiss, and am in no way bad mouthing the quality of their products. Just got a bit pissy when I received the FL's in the state they were in. Most likely had something to do with shipping handling I reckon.

The way things are looking atm, they should be back in my hands by the end of the month. :)

Please post the outcome when they are returned. :t:

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back