• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few thoughts.... (1 Viewer)

Ruth Daniel

Hi everyone,
Well as some of you may know today is the shortest days after which we can all look forward to lighter and longer days,feeling a bit of warmth from the slowly nearing sun.watching buds and then leaves develop on trees and shrubs and listening to our birds as their songs get ever louder with each lighter day.
As our "day" of celebrating looms closer perhaps we could all spare a thought to those who won't hear the birds or see the days lengthen or feel the warmth of suns rays on their faces again.
People who are still suffering terribly after events that have destroyed all they had and knew.People without homes,food and clothes who have no hope and nothing to look forward to.
I'm talking about New Orleans,Pakistan,Indonisia,Romania and Africa a country in every continent where in the 21st century we seem helpless to be able to do anything to help?
Happy Christmas everyone.

Hi Ruth,
A sobering thought, when we have so much It is so easy to forget the less fortunate. Thanks for reminding us.
Regards
George

A post to make us think. Thanks Ruth. Only needed to watch the news last night, which included the piece about Uganda, to be aware of the horrors that continue in the 21st century whilst our so called peace makers at the UN seem to do nowt!!! On a different note however I am equally aware having visited some of the areas mentioned that despite a life of poverty, in relative terms to our own over indulgent western ways, many people in these areas continue to show a love of life and contentedness often not shown by some individuals who appear to have everything. I believe that should make us think also!

Thank you.

Ruth Daniel said:
Hi everyone,
Well as some of you may know today is the shortest days after which we can all look forward to lighter and longer days,feeling a bit of warmth from the slowly nearing sun.watching buds and then leaves develop on trees and shrubs and listening to our birds as their songs get ever louder with each lighter day.
As our "day" of celebrating looms closer perhaps we could all spare a thought to those who won't hear the birds or see the days lengthen or feel the warmth of suns rays on their faces again.
People who are still suffering terribly after events that have destroyed all they had and knew.People without homes,food and clothes who have no hope and nothing to look forward to.
I'm talking about New Orleans,Pakistan,Indonisia,Romania and Africa a country in every continent where in the 21st century we seem helpless to be able to do anything to help?

Hi Ruth.

A few days ago you commented on yourself, saying that you were a 'heathen'. I'm equally sure that you had your tongue, ever so slightly in your cheek. If not, you should have had. Those are not the words of a heathen, but of a warm, caring human being. As we sit around our table I will start, as I always do with these words. " Heavenly Father, we thank for this food, provided by you, and so lovingly prepared. As we eat, keep us ever aware of those who have far less. In the name of Christ. Amen." Whether we are believers or not doesn't really matter, as long as we keep those sentiments in our hearts.

God Bless you all.
Baz.

Hi Ruth and everybody!

Thoughtful and sobering words Ruth and I'm glad you wrote them. It is so easy to forget those not so fortunate at this time of plenty and over indulgence.

Thank you.

Liebchen

Hi Ruth

Sometimes I have to switch off from what's going on in the world as I get so stressed worrying about everything. Although we all grumble about "our lot" we are so lucky compared to the people living in those countries you mention. We should count our blessings and hope that 2006 will bring a better life for those less fortunate than us.

As for the shortest day, I'm glad it's almost over. I'm so looking forward to Spring.

Ruth Daniel said:
Hi everyone,

Hello Ruth, and everyone else.

It is wonderful to see that us few can spare the time and inclinations to wish hope and happiness on those less fortunate than ourselves. My life this year has been a tough one but thankfully my mother blessed me with the ability to see the wondrous in the tiny and to be thankful for what I have...which is a lot.

For some reason this Christmas, I have found myself calm in the face of other people's whirlwind behaviour and less inclined to run myself ragged for one day of the year. I think I have finally come to realise that there are much more pertinent things I can do with my money and time than to spend every ounce on baubles. I have made a lot of gifts, from things I have grown myself like apple chutney and damson gin and given money to charity instead. I have been met with looks of horror at this act...which surprised me somewhat...but not unduly.

I'll leave you all with one of my favourite quotes from Emily Dickinson, I think it's quite apt:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune,
Without the words,
And never stops at all.

I have a new found hope for the New Year, and I hope you and yours (and those who have not), have a tolerant, peaceful and above all, a truly happy 2006.

Hi Ruth & All,
I echo everyones sentiments and add my wishes to all of yours. Love, Peace, Health and Happiness to all, Judo.

BazR said:
Hi Ruth.

A few days ago you commented on yourself, saying that you were a 'heathen'. I'm equally sure that you had your tongue, ever so slightly in your cheek. If not, you should have had. Those are not the words of a heathen, but of a warm, caring human being. .
Hello all,
Thanks for those kind words which have bought tears to my eyes this morning.
I wasn't tongue in cheek Baz I am in fact a non-believer and don't like Christmas or celebrate it as a birth or religious ceremony (in fact once my kids have left home won't "celebrate" at all)
I didn't get married in church for those very reasons as didn't want to be hypercritical and "use" the church.
BUT do have my own principles and do care for all other living things in this world.
Take care everyone and lets hope for a more peaceful,caring world in 2006.
Best wishes,

Ruth Daniel said:
Hello all,
Thanks for those kind words which have bought tears to my eyes this morning.
I wasn't tongue in cheek Baz I am in fact a non-believer and don't like Christmas or celebrate it as a birth or religious ceremony (in fact once my kids have left home won't "celebrate" at all)
I didn't get married in church for those very reasons as didn't want to be hypercritical and "use" the church.
BUT do have my own principles and do care for all other living things in this world.
Take care everyone and lets hope for a more peaceful,caring world in 2006.
Best wishes,

Hi Ruth and Everyone

I read your message with interest Ruth as I'm too a non-believer. I find it hard to 'believe' when looking at the world today. But just as the same as you I have my principles and know right from wrong. And I too care for all living things. Oh and I do like Christmas not because of the religious reasons but of family closeness and sharing together.

Funny through that the special man in my life ( which took far to long to find) turns out to be a believer and very much so. This has brought with it some very interesting conversations but he fully respects my views and so do I respect his.

I'll join you Ruth and everybody else in hoping and wishing for a more peaceful and caring world in 2006!!

Happy birdies, Liebchen

I'm a committed non-believer as well but seem to see something almost miraculous practically every day. This morning it was the fog freezing on the trees, grasses, fences and bushes along the edges of the forest where still some bronze leaves stay on the trees. The beauty in Nature is often breathtaking and a cause for celebration whatever one's creed is, or isn't.

Pam.

Last edited:
Hello Marion and Pam,
Thanks for sharing your beliefs (or not!) with me.
As long as we each believe in what we believe in and know right from wrong then I'm sure that the world would be a much better place.
Here's to 2006 B :)

Hi Ruth a very thought wrenching posting indeed, like you I do not believe in the Christian faith, but that does not stop one being a Humanist and looking for the best in mankind and being a caring person, Sadly all the events you list are part of being on this earth of ours, all we can do is offer support were we can and sympathy when we can do nothing else. Let us hope there is a way forward to improve the lot of the poorer countries and to iradicate this awful inhumanity that seems to be inherent in so much mankind does to both fellow human beings and to our wildlife.
Im sure everyone on this Forum does all in their power to achieve a Better and more Stable World.
May I wish You All a JOYFULL 2006
Good Health PeterK

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back