• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (2 Viewers)

What do you think it could be?

It could be a great egret, but it's really difficult to judge size when birds are in trees and we know there's a little egret colony there, so before I said it was anything other than little egret I'd want to know a bit more. What colour was its beak?

What colour was its beak?

That wouldn't really help if it was in breeding plumage Chris ;)

As soon as I saw the original post I put the word out, but no sign Fri, Sat or today. Did see a Little Egret with quite a lot of brown in the wings today, but surely too early for a juv?!

That wouldn't really help if it was in breeding plumage Chris ;)
!

True. I wasn't for one minute saying it wasn't a great white egret. It wouldn't have been so unusual after all. Just didn't think the description was quite comprehensive enough for too much scrutiny!!
and Joe, you'll find I never believe anything until is flies over my head.
I'm really of the opinion that if you didn't see a bird very well it's unlikely to be the rarer choice of two possibilities.
Chris

1st summer Night Heron at RSPB Radipole lake yesturday. present from about 5:55am and was still being seen at about 10am. no sign throughout the day though it was then seen again at 6:55.

Had a text this morning at 6:30 and its still near the buddleia viewing shelter.

as norm, pics on my blog.

Longham Lakes, Tuesday morning

One whimbrel flushed from the scrape at the end of the big lake this morning.
Also the little gull still present and one hobby.

Canada geese have six fluffy goslings at the scrape too.
Chris

Had a lovely pair of siskins in very bright plumage on the sunflower seed hearts today in my Colehill garden.
Chris

Savi's Warbler at RSPB Lodmoor, probably for third day! there's been various reports of a Gropper recently singing at the north end of Beachdown way and this morning it was thought to be a Savi's. Should hopefully be on show this evening! fingers crosses.

Longham this evening

Walked round both lakes at sunset and into dark. Very atmospheric with lots of reed and sedge warblers singing and several noisy parties of herons flying over. Great swarms of flies along the north edge but surprisingly only two bats hunting along green lane.
Heard a cuckoo and most strangely of all, for people who know the site, i'm sure I had a redshank calling, but didn't ever see it. It would only be my second record in four years, if my own personal records committee would accept it. (I'm the only person on the committee, and I'm still reviewing it!!;))

Chris

Heard a cuckoo and most strangely of all, for people who know the site, i'm sure I had a redshank calling, but didn't ever see it. It would only be my second record in four years, if my own personal records committee would accept it. (I'm the only person on the committee, and I'm still reviewing it!!;))

Chris

Chris thought I heard Redshank on several occasions over the last 3 months but put it down to a Song Thrush incorporating it into its song as like you I could see no sign of a shank. Always seemed to be near the West wood area of the large lake.

LRPs still about?

Ray

Last edited:
Morden Bog Sunday 06.00am- 09.00am

Species Count Total 40

Highlights

Woodlark
Redstart 2 Males up by Decoy Cottage
Cuckoo Including a pair chasing through pines
Spotted Flycatcher Numerous by decoy cottage
Hobby 2 seen
Raven

On an interesting note it seems that the Wardens of the site have erected a couple of Osprey nests in a couple of locations across the reserve, this must of happened in the last week as they weren't there on my last visit.

P.s. Hope this message works, as it is my first post on this site.

Longham this evening

Yet another stunning display by the swifts - difficult to put a number to them, but I'd guess at 200 at least.
Also had a fox and a big rabbit. No sign of the little gull, but didn't walk all round big lake.
Chris

Holt heath

Several dartford warblers this evening, and lots of stonechats too.
Has anyone got a reliable spot on the heath for seeing woodlarks?

Chris

Chris

I don't know about Holt Heath but at Morden Bog I see them on every visit(normally twice a week). Best spot is on the lower side of the Decoy Pond on the heath area around the 2 prominent dead trees that are popular with the cuckoos. On Sunday there was a pair feeding on one of the paths.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back