• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help required. Neighbour has shot Collared Dove in my garden. (1 Viewer)

bristolbirder

Yesterday, my neighbour shot a Collared Dove in my Cherry tree with an air rifle. Can anyone tell me please what laws have been broken?

I have contacted the police and they are due to visit me today.

The Collared Dove has a small wound in the centre of its back but, as I write, is stiill alive in a box in my garage. I tried to release it this morning but it seems unable to fly.

Thanks.

Steve

I don't think it's illegal to shoot collared doves, but it's bloody antisocial to shoot them in a neighbour's garden. if the police don't help speak to your local paper and wildlife group.

Yesterday, my neighbour shot a Collared Dove in my Cherry tree with an air rifle. Can anyone tell me please what laws have been broken?

I have contacted the police and they are due to visit me today.

The Collared Dove has a small wound in the centre of its back but, as I write, is stiill alive in a box in my garage. I tried to release it this morning but it seems unable to fly.

Thanks.

Steve

It sounds prety serious to me Steve.

"and also against the law on the protection of birds by killing, or even trying to kill, a wild bird when he is not an authorised person."
http://f4bscale.worldonline.co.uk/gunlaw.htm

"no pellet may go outside of the boundaries of the private land where the shooting is taking place"

"You cannot shoot your airgun within 15 meters of a public highway if doing so would cause a nuisance or indanger the public. It is now also an offence if any projectile leaves the boundries of the land where you have permission to shoot."

"It is a serious offence to kill or injure any bird or protected animal with an airgun unless you are a person 'authorised' under the wildlife and countryside act 1981."

http://www.youngmans.com/acatalog/law.html

If it was someone under 14, an adult should be supervising and would carry the responsibility.

bristolbirder - you need to be clear about where the bird was shot. If it was shot whilst on your land, an offence was comitted. If it was shot on their land, and subsequently flew onto your land, no offence was comitted. The key definition is that of an authorised person. I am presuming that they are authorised to shoot on their land, but not on yours.

Thank you to all those who have replied so far and for the information sent. It is all very useful.

I should make it clear that we are talking about small suburban gardens on a housing estate here and that the bird was in my tree, in my garden, when hit.

It seems at this stage that several laws have been broken.

Steve

How can it be legal to shoot and injure a wild bird in the UK? Surely this comes under some sort of animal cruelty laws? Is there no protection for non-rare wild birds?

Just a word of warning - however antisocial or illegal the act enetering in to a dispute with your neighbour can have long lasting consequences.

I'm not advocating turning a blind eye, but be aware that these things can escalate very quickly and have even have to be declared if ever selling your house.

I should make it clear that we are talking about small suburban gardens on a housing estate here and that the bird was in my tree, in my garden, when hit.

Absolutely the law has been broken due to reasons already given. Given that it is small suburban gardens, it might even be illegal had he shot the bird in his own garden, let alone yours (the pellet is likely to go out of the garden). The police should be called, not only because a bird was shot, but also that it is downright stupid to be shooting into other people's garden - if he had missed the bird, the pellet could easily cause injury to an unseen person further back. You have the right to not have birds shot in your garden, you have the right to not have the risk of a stray pellet hitting you in the eye, etc. Bird's welfare is important, but I would try not to release it until after the police have seen it.

Last edited:
I don't think it's illegal to shoot collared doves

It's true that Collared Dove is on the list of species covered by a general licence that allows them to be killed, but only for the following reasons: (i) preventing the spread of disease; (ii) preventing serious damage to livestock, foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber, fisheries or inland waters; and (iii) for the purposes of preserving public health or public safety. Shooting can only be carried out with the permission of the landowner.

In the situation described it does sound that the Wildlife and Countryside Act has been contravened.

Last edited:
bristolbirder - you need to be clear about where the bird was shot. If it was shot whilst on your land, an offence was comitted. If it was shot on their land, and subsequently flew onto your land, no offence was comitted. The key definition is that of an authorised person. I am presuming that they are authorised to shoot on their land, but not on yours.

Absolutly correct, also I do not think a collard dove is a protected bird,but classed as a pest along with woodpigeon sinse it is not an indigenous species. Not condoning the event just stating facts.

Well said!

If it was my garden, I think it would now be the neighbor who would be worrying.

It might be too late to mend the damage in your relationship with your neighbour, but a serious dispute with your neighbour could knock thousands off the value of your house.

This will matter to some people, depending on your circumstances.

You are allowed to take lapwing eggs with a licence, before the 15th of April, -that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard! A bird that is in steep decline-it's terrible.

Thats a very old law relating to human consumption and no organization in todays climate is going to issue a licence to collect Lapwing Eggs.
With regards to the Collared Dove, did you see the man shoot it? I would be wanting to know that as my first question to you. It would be all about proving it in court, your word against his etc. Let us know how you got on with the Police.

Absolutly correct, also I do not think a collard dove is a protected bird,but classed as a pest along with woodpigeon sinse it is not an indigenous species. Not condoning the event just stating facts.

The Collared Dove IS a protected species but may be shot as a pest species under a general licence. So as far as shooting one in yours/someones back yard with an air rifle it IS a protected species. Also what has the indigenous species got to do with it. Collared Doves came over here of their own free will and stayed to populate. Woodpigeons are only classed as a pest species in certain circumstances. They are still a wild bird in the UK and are equally protected in close season. Just stating CORRECT facts. ;)

Last edited:
With regards to the Collared Dove, did you see the man shoot it? I would be wanting to know that as my first question to you. It would be all about proving it in court, your word against his etc. Let us know how you got on with the Police.

It was shot by a couple of teenagers and yes, I did witness the event. This has happened once before and again the police were contacted. Don't think any further action was taken by them and not sure if they are going to do anything about it this time either. I have had a couple of phone calls from the police asking for further details but, as yet, no visit. Whether the culprits have been visited by the police I don't know.

As for the Collared dove, remakably it's still alive and living in a box in my garage. It appears to have a broken wing but is taking seed and water. Not sure what to do now. Any suggestions?

Steve

They are still a wild bird in the UK and are equally protected in close season. Just stating CORRECT facts. ;)

. . . except that woodpigeon and collard doves don't have a closed season, they can be shot throughout the year by those authorised to do so.

Jonathan

. they can be shot throughout the year by those authorised to do so.

Jonathan

It is very unlikely that two teenage boys in a suburban garden would be so authorized.;)

Bristol birder, police forces these days have wildlife units, probably underfunded, but you could contact them. At the very least they should pay these boys a visit.

Joanne

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back