• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdseed growers switching to producing crops for ethanol (1 Viewer)

Mmcguire

Heads up,
Next winter's birdseed may cost dramatically more (at least in the USA), because many growers of sunflower seeds and other bird foods have contracted to produce more lucrative crops such as beets and corn (i.e., maiz) to be used in ethanol production. The pressure to use agricultural land and water for transportation fuel production is an economically and environmentally disasterous policy. In addition to getting politically vocal about environmental issues, those of us who love to attract birds to our gardens will need to start growing a lot more of our own bird-foods. Fortunately, sunflowers and zinnias are lovely in the garden. And I've just planted a plot of millet, too -- last year a few "volunteer" millet plants attracted a beautiful pair of painted buntings.

Mmcguire said:
Heads up,
Next winter's birdseed may cost dramatically more (at least in the USA), because many growers of sunflower seeds and other bird foods have contracted to produce more lucrative crops such as beets and corn (i.e., maiz) to be used in ethanol production. The pressure to use agricultural land and water for transportation fuel production is an economically and environmentally disasterous policy. In addition to getting politically vocal about environmental issues, those of us who love to attract birds to our gardens will need to start growing a lot more of our own bird-foods. Fortunately, sunflowers and zinnias are lovely in the garden. And I've just planted a plot of millet, too -- last year a few "volunteer" millet plants attracted a beautiful pair of painted buntings.
Now there's a wake-up call that I sincerely hope does not go unheeded!
Eight years ago we began to transform our little suburban yard into a Hummingbird/ Wildbird/ Butterfly garden and although we've only just started, the birds themselves have helped the garden grow in ways I never would have imagined. Thanks to them, I can add a few favorites to the Sunflower, Millet and Zinnia list that Mmcguire has begun.
Here in SE Michigan, in addition to the popular Purple Coneflower, grows a pretty, native plant that looks like a Black-eyed Susan bush called Thin-leaved Coneflower which readily self-seeds with enough left over to keep the Goldfinches coming back all winter long. This is a great alternative to the expensive "nyjer" seed. Some of this seed (which is not thistle seed, but comes from an Ethiopian daisy, Guizotia abyssinica ), which remained fertile, despite the usual heat-treating, grew into tall, wind- vulnerable, plants under my first Goldfinch feeder. These birds made it clear that Coneflower was a better choice.
Another later-season bloomer, Canada Goldenrod, is a favorite of the native, true Sparrows, including the Dark-eyed Juncos. When we've had alot of snow and cold, there are the little Goldenrod seed clusters beckoning to them in the breeze, still accessible above all the snow.
Then there's Pokeweed, but before this turns into a book, I'll just say to birdgardeners everywhere, "let's get growin'!" The birds will thank us in many wonderful ways (be sure to wear a hat, though).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back