• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Walks at Dungeness RSPB Reserve (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Walks at Dungeness RSPB Reserve

Since so many BF members are from Kent (or like to visit the county), I thought that folks would like to have details of the birding walks at Dungeness RSPB Reserve this autumn/winter.

Booking is essential - please phone 01797 320588 (or call in at the Visitor Centre).
If you are unable to attend please call to cancel (as soon as possible) so that someone else can take your place.

Charges as follows:-
RSPB Members - Adults -£2:50, Wildlife Explorers - £1:00
Non- Members - Adults - £5:00, Concessions -£4:00 & children - £2:00

Sun - 19th Sept - 9:00 - 11:00 AM - Autumn Migration
Sat - 25th Sept - 9:00 - 11:00 AM - Autumn Migration
Sun - 10th Oct - 1:00 - 3:00 PM - Autumn Birding
Sat - 23th Oct - 1:00 - 3:00 PM - Beginners Birdwatching
Sat - 13th Nov. - 1:00 - 3:00 PM - Ducks, Grebes & Divers
Sun - 12th Dec - 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM - Winter Wildfowl
Sun - 2nd Jan - 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM - New Year Birding
Sun - 16th Jan - 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM - Winter Wildfowl
Sun - 23rd Jan - 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM - Bittern Safari
Sat - 29th Jan - 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM - Winter Wildfowl
Sun - 13th Feb - 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM - Winter Wildfowl
Sat - 19th March - 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM - Beginners Birdwatching

Whilst Bitterns certainly can't be guaranteed on the 23rd, they have showed well in previous years and must be a fair bet. I do about half the walks myself and ought to warn people that a) I usually overrun by 30 minutes at least and b) I have an awful line in bird related puns/jokes. Naturally, I'd be happy to hear from anyone interested in these walks, but please, to avoid confusion, book via the phone number given.

We usually have a good mix of species on these walks - Dungeness is one of the UK's best sites for Smew, BoPs like Marsh & Hen Harrier, Peregrine, Merlin & Sparrowhawk are regular in winter and there's generally a good chance of Cetti's Warbler and Bearded Tit. There's always the possibility of something really unusual - today, for example, we found a Red-crested Pochard. In the last couple of years, spring walks I've led have been blessed with the appearance of species such as Red-rumped Swallow and Little Bittern. Apart from the above named duck, the best autumnal birds on one of my walks thus far has been Pectoral Sandpiper and Great Grey Shrike, but who knows what might turn up!

John

I was down there last week and on what was apparently a quiet day, I still saw 40+ species in a leisurely 3 hour stroll around.
Always a good place to visit, one of my favourites.

John Cantelo said:
Walks at Dungeness RSPB Reserve

a) I usually overrun by 30 minutes at least and b) I have an awful line in bird related puns/jokes.

John

a) Only 30 minutes!

As somebody who has attended these (with and without John as a guide) I have found them really enjoyable and I learnt a lot about the skills of identification and about the species seen.

Paul.
P.S. the walk with John overran by about an hour (but that did include a detour to try and see the reported spoonbills).

Hi John I visited Dungeness many years ago, having just read your list, a Bittern WOW, I am now determined on my next visit to St Leonards I will make a determined effort to visit the RSPB reserve, hopefully to enjoy a walk, puns and all.
Good Birding Peterk

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back