• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING: Include Country and Location in title of your Thread Please (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Lade

Please: Put a Location in title of your Post when seeking I.D.

Please include the date of the sighting if you submit a photo (or give a description) of a bird.

These can be very valuable aids in determining the identity of the bird.

Please do not post photos of eggs or captive birds for identification

If you could also put the country/region of your sighting in the SUBJECT of the message that would be helpful.

And - given that not everyone on here is from the US - something a bit more explicit than a two-letter abbreviation of a state: "CT" and "VT" mean nothing to many of us.

Keith Reeder said:
And - given that not everyone on here is from the US - something a bit more explicit than a two-letter abbreviation of a state: "CT" and "VT" mean nothing to many of us.

Keith, vrey good point, but please don't think we're being intentionally rude or arrogant--it's just that the postal service has us very, very well trained!

posted from MI..chigan!

Keith Reeder said:

This goes both ways, Keith - if you're from the UK, or anywhere else for that matter, keep in mind that some of us don't know where "Derby," "Norfolk," or "Whereevershire" is - give us a country and/or region (e.g. Fife, Central/Southern Scotland, UK). I'd be more than willing to do the same here in the US (e.g. Southern Connecticut, North Eastern US).

overworkedirish said:
This goes both ways, Keith - if you're from the UK, or anywhere else for that matter, keep in mind that some of us don't know where "Derby," "Norfolk," or "Whereevershire" is - give us a country and/or region (e.g. Fife, Central/Southern Scotland, UK). I'd be more than willing to do the same here in the US (e.g. Southern Connecticut, North Eastern US).

Not sure I can agree with that one. The titles would just get too unwieldy. I think the county or region name should suffice, maybe followed by UK.

I've learned the rough location of all the US states, and can easily look up those I'm unsure of. I've personally no objection to the state abbreviations either, as they're pretty easy to work out.

Surely those who are interested in UK birds could be assumed to have a little knowledge of UK geography. Also, if you're not familiar with the location of a British town, http://maps.google.co.uk is your quick and easy friend.

The main reason I want to see the locations in the titles is that I only want to look at the posts for countries I'm familiar with. I know absolutely nothing about the birds of the far east, for example, so will not have anything to contribute to an "ID Required" post from there.

Last edited:
overworkedirish said:
.... if you're from the UK, or anywhere else for that matter, keep in mind that some of us don't know where "Derby," "Norfolk," or "Whereevershire" is - give us a country and/or region (e.g. Fife, Central/Southern Scotland, UK).
I suspect most UK people would have a better idea of where Borfolk is than Fife! Point taken though

mjobling said:
The main reason I want to see the locations in the titles is that I only want to look at the posts for countries I'm familiar with. I know absolutely nothing about the birds of the far east, for example, so will not have anything to contribute to an "ID Required" post from there.

Some western european birds occur in the far east as well and an unusual one there needing ID might just be familiar to you. I remember a birder originally from around here but living in some far flung place had to send back pictures of a Carrion Crow for confirmation. It was a first for whereever he was. The rarity desciption form made exciting reading:- Bill: black; head: black; etc. ;)

I know you can edit after you reply to a post, but is it possible to edit a title? This way the originator of the post can add specifics.

On the contrary, Keith. The citizens of no other country in the world are so .. um ... well, let's just say so ... as to imagine that two meaningless letters such as "CT" or "VA" make any sense to the rest of the world. In fact, this makes it easy to recognise posts from the US: they have two meaningless capital letters in them which, being meaningless, mean "somewhere in the US", which means that they are not meaningless after all, if you get my meaning.

Please: Put a Location in the Title of your Post when seeking I.D.

Please include the date of the sighting if you submit a photo (or give a description) of a bird.

These can be very valuable aids in determining the identity of the bird.

But don't they automatically direct the reader to suggest certain birds, when not knowing where they were taken can generate better answers initially

Can anyone ID this raptor?

picture taken August 23.007
taken in Purdy, Washington. Washington State as in the northwestern most state in the united states. (not including Alaska)
Purdy is a small town on the south eastern shore of the olympic penninsula.
north of Olympia. my question seems to have spurred a debate over the geographic knowlege of our users. lol

Last edited:
When seeking an identification of a bird please include location (country, etc.) and date of your sighting.

This will aid responders in their suggestions as to the ID of the bird.

Thank You!

Isn't it an idea to also include the scientific name of the identified birds?
I for example come from Holland and I'm not familiar with any English bird names. The scientific names would help a lot (well...ofcourse there's always google...but still..;))

-blerf-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back