• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (29 Viewers)

Caught up with my 1st Orange Tip of the year, whilst many on the course had their 1st Redstart of their life, and for one even a Blackcap was a 1st. It takes all sorts!

Attachments

• 20-04-10OTip4WP.jpg
    20-04-10OTip4WP.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 20-04-10OTip1WP.jpg
    20-04-10OTip1WP.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 60
Swine Moor

had a walk round Swinemoor tonight.
Nothing major but included 3 lrp, 5 whimbrel, 7 yellow wagtail, 2 pied wagtails, 2 gadwall, snipe, teal, redshank, lapwing hirundines.

Spoonbill

The spoonbill has just been reported as still being at Edderthorpe at dusk so anyone fancying it might still be ok tomorrow morning ...

Nice Spoonbill too, an adult with breeding plumes and the orangey band. I've sent details of its leg-irons to a guy in Holland who co-ordinates such things, so will post when I get a reply on its origin.

John

Caught up with my 1st Orange Tip of the year, whilst many on the course had their 1st Redstart of their life, and for one even a Blackcap was a 1st. It takes all sorts!

Four Orange Tips this afternoon at Fairburn, with a male and female together. Didn't get any sharp shots though. Comma still knocking about.

Gropper reeling, a couple of Whitethroats, Blackcap, Green Woodpecker, Willow Tit, Willow Warblers and Chiffs.

2 Buzzards over the A1 between Wetherby and Fairburn.

A weasel across the road in Bardsey.

Did my Atlas tetrad over by Ledston this afternoon, still no house martins seen. Plenty of swallows. Had a nice low gliding buzzard, able to really get a good look at the feathers of the underwing.
Good numbers of chaffinches counted but I couldn't find more than 3 great tits, easily into double figures with blue tits.

Cuckoo heard at Kelk yesterday morning (not by me). Typical date locally is around 26/7/8th April so a little earlier than usual... though it's just nice to know one has arrived!!

2 East Yorkshire Redstarts spent well over half an hour chasing each other round & round an ideal area of habitat today. One of them would have been cleaned up by a Sparrowhawk but the latter saw the audience watching the contest at the last moment & beat a hasty retreat.

Keith, as they are local to you, do you happen to know how many free-flyers there are at Harewood House?

I've not been into the bird garden at Harewood for a number of years but from memory there were around a dozen storks there all fully winged, and breeding so numbers have probably built up since. They can and do go walkabout which is why it is so difficult to get sightings accepted in this area. I believe that they now ring the chicks at Harewood so getting a look at any rings helps with acceptance of records.

I've not been into the bird garden at Harewood for a number of years but from memory there were around a dozen storks there all fully winged, and breeding so numbers have probably built up since. They can and do go walkabout which is why it is so difficult to get sightings accepted in this area. I believe that they now ring the chicks at Harewood so getting a look at any rings helps with acceptance of records.

No-one let me have the one I saw over the motorway at Armthorpe, so I'm not letting anyone have the one at Old Moor or York ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back